Source: Jays To Call Up Sam Dyson

New, 58 comments

Update: It is official, sorry I doubted.

Earlier tonight the Jays announced that they were sending Scott Richmond back to Vegas and that they would tell us the corresponding move later. Twitter rumors, and you know what a rumor is worth, especially when it starts with Kevin Gray, say the player coming up is Sam Dyson.

Dyson was our 10th pick (4th round) in the 2010 draft. He's a 24 year old right-handed pitcher, who started this season in Dunedin and moved up to New Hamphire, back in May. In Dunedin he was a starter, and made 6 starts there, 2-0 record, 4.08 ERA, 35 hits, 5 walks and 16 k in 28.2 innings.

He worked out of the pen, for the Fisher Cats, and has made 15 appearances, 24 innings, 19 hits, 8 walk, 8 strikeouts (just 8 strikeouts in 24 innings??) adding up to a 0.75 ERA and 3 saves. In his last 10 games, he hasn't allowed a run in 17 innings, just 10 hits, 4 walks and 7 strikeouts. He throws in the mid-90s, maybe getting up to 97 mph and has a curve. If he throws that hard, why doesn't he get more strikeouts?

This is a surprise, I figure Moyer was the one coming up, or maybe Chad Beck. This suggests the club doesn't have any confidence in the Beck or any of the other Vegas pitchers. John Farrell said they wanted someone who could pitch an inning with the team down a run or two and get out of the inning without allowing a run. I guess Dyson is their man.