Let's finish this by the end of the week.The earlier pasts are here:1-5, 6-10, 11-15, 16 -20, 21-25, 26-30 and 31-35.
36. Griffin Murphy: Murphy has been pitching in relief in Bluefield and doing a really good job of it. In 10 appearances, he has a 1.54 ERA, 23.1 innings, 16 hits, 8 walks, 23 strikeouts. 21 year old left-hander, he started last year, I'm not sure if the change is to manage his innings or if the Jays figure relief is the role for him. Most of the time he's been pitching 2 or 3 innings at a go. Griffin has only had 1 really bad outing, giving up 5 hits, 5 runs (only 2 earned), 2 walks, 2 k in 1.1 innings on July 5. He's on a 14 inning shutout streak.
37. Mark Biggs: Mark is pitching in the GCL and not having the best of times in his first pro season. In 8 games, 4 starts, he is 1-4 with a 6.38 ERA. 24 innings, 26 hits, 4 home runs, 8 walks, 17 strikeouts. He's just 19, an 8th round pick from last year's draft, who we paid well above slot.
38. Eric Arce: Our 25th round pick in 2011 is playing in Bluefield. Hitting .256/.419/.489 in 90 at bats, with 5 home runs, 23 walks and 38 strikeouts. He's been playing mostly left field. 20 year old, left-handed batter, lots of power in a 5'9" body. If he had a defensive position, he'd be a better prospect. He's small for a first baseman and not athletic enough to be more than an average (at best) corner outfielder, so it is all on his bat.
39. Mike McDade: Mike moved up to Las Vegas last week, he was having a pretty good time of it in New Hampshire, hitting .275/.354/.437 with 15 home runs, 43 walks and 85 strikeouts in 100 games. He has a .290/.324/.419 line at Vegas. He's a 23 year old switch-hitter with a good glove at first base. I think he is one of those guys that are built for Vegas, he should do well there. Whether he can do the job at the major league level is a different question.
40. Danny Barnes: Barnes has been the closer for our Dunedin Blue Jays, and it seems like a good role for him. He has 28 saves with a 1.66 ERA. 43.1 innings, 34 hits, 3 home runs, 16 walks and 51 strikeouts. He's 22, just in his 2nd year of pro ball, after being drafted in the 35th round of the 2010 Draft. If he can move up a level, and keep up to good work, he'd have a shot at a call up. It worked for Sam Dyson. He gets a lot more strikeouts than Dyson.