Quick Recap: Home Runs for Bautista, Rasmus, Velez, Jays beat Rays

New, 9 comments
Anthony Gose, not from today.
Anthony Gose, not from today.
USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays 3 Rays 1

Might as well lead with the bad news. Ricky Romero got thumped in his minor league game. He gave up 5 hits, 5 walk and 4 earned in the equivalent of 2.1 innings. He's working on mechanics, so results don't matter a lot, but clearly there is still a lot of work to be done. I really don't think he can get the mechanics fixed before the start of the season.

In this game:

  • Claudio Vargas was very good: 2.2, 2 walks, 2 k. 4.22.
  • Brett Cecil: 2.1, 1 hit, 1 walk, 4 k. 5.27. Very good outing for him too. His last couple of times out have been much better than Jeffress' last couple.
  • Ramon Ortiz: 3.0, 4 hits, 1 earned, 2 walks, 2 k. 3.27.
  • Juan Perez: 1.0, 1 hit, 1 k. 0.00.

On offense had 8 hits, 3 home runs, 1 double.

  • Anthony Gose: 0 for 4, 1 k. .279. His hot streak to start spring seems to be over.
  • Jim Negrych: 2 for 4. .429.
  • Jose Bautista: 1 for 3, home run number 5 on the spring. .262. I think it is safe to say his wrist isn't bugging him.
  • Colby Rasmus: 1 for 3, home run. .179. Nice to see him hit one out, now bring up the average.
  • Josh Thole: 1 for 4. .156.
  • Henry Blanco: 1 for 2. .320.
  • Luis Jimenez: 0 for 3, walk. .205.
  • Eugenio Velez: 1 for 3, home run. .269.
  • Mike McCoy: 1 for 3. .172.

Tomorrow the Jays have the Red Sox coming to visit them at Dunedin. Not on TV yet again.