Blue Jays 6 Rays 1: Grand Slam for Colby Rasmus

New, 37 comments
No pictures from today, so here is one of the offensive star of the day.
No pictures from today, so here is one of the offensive star of the day.
USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays 6 Rays 1

That wasn't the start you would have liked to see from J.A. Happ, the day after he is given the 5th starter job. He went 4.2, giving up 4 hits, 4 walks with 4 strikeouts. He did pitch well, once he got into trouble, he only allowed the 1 earned run, but a walk an inning isn't what we'd like to see. He was helped by some timely strikeouts, and some good defense. His spring has been so good, we'll give him a pass for this one. Maybe it was a homage to Ricky. 1.90 spring ERA.

Other pitchers:

  • Esmil Rogers: 1.1, 1 walk, 2 k. 6.94. Looked to be throwing hard, but I didn't hear a radar gun reading.
  • Aaron Loup: 1.0, 1 hits, 1 walk, 2 k.
  • Jeremy Jeffress: 1.0, 1 hit, 2 k. (gameday says that Loup pitched two innings, I'm pretty sure they are wrong, Jeffress pitched on of the innings).
  • Chad Beck: 1.0, 1 k.
On offense, we didn't do much until Jeff Niemann left the game. Niemann went 6 innings allowing just 2 hits and no walks. But we scored 6 runs against Kirby Yates, with the help of a Kelly Johnson error, in the 8th inning. Colby Rasmus had the big hit, a grand slam home run, hit a mile out over the right field wall. He crushed it.
  • Emilio Bonifacio: 0 for 3, k. .306.
  • Rajai Davis: 0 for 2, hit by pitch. .260. He also made a nice catch in left.
  • Maicer Izturis: 1 for 3, double. .226.
  • Adam Lind: 0 for 3, 2 k. .339.
  • Colby Rasmus: 1 for 4, home run. .175.
  • Henry Blanco: 0 for 4, k. .258.
  • Ryan Langerhans: 1 for 3, walk. .275.
  • Mike Nickeas: 1 for 4. .205.
  • Peter Mooney: 1 for 3, hit by pitch, steal. .200.
Back in Dunedin, R.A. Dickey pitched 6 innings and says he's ready for the season. Casey Janssen pitched too, and says the same. It sounds like R.A. is backing off, a bit, from saying Arencibia is doing a great job catching him:

On the Rays side, Yunel Escobar had a nice day at the plate, driving in the Rays' run with a triple and adding a single before leaving the game (so lazy, he only plays 4 innings of a game). Kelly Johnson walked in his only plate appearance and booted a double play ball that helped us get those 6 runs in the 8th.
Tomorrow, the Jays take the short bus ride to Clearwater, to play the Philles and then they fly to Philadelphia for 2 games on the weekend and then real baseball starts.