Alex Anthopoulos: Jays 'unlikely' to sign Phil Bickford

New, comments

Mike Wilner spawned a ton of tweets:

I don't buy that bit about money not being the issue. Money is always the issue. Bickford is hoping that, in a couple of years, he'll be picked even higher in the draft and can get more money. I think it is a mistake for him, but it isn't my life. Since slot is $2.9 million, man I wish I could turn down that much money once in my life.

If it is true the Jays won't be signing him, then they will get the 11th pick in next year's draft as compensation. Back in 2011 we didn't sign out number one pick Tyler Beede. With the compensation pick we go Marcus Stroman. Right now that is looking like a good trade.

Next year's draft is said to be much better than this year's, so we might to better. On the other side, we lose a year of development.

If it isn't money, I don't know what it would be. An arm issue the team didn't know about at the time of the draft? I doubt it, it isn't like we figured he would pitch in Toronto this year or next. Makeup issues? Not a chance, unless they have pictures of him wearing a Klan outfit. You'd figure that, in the few years it would take Bickford to make it to the majors, you could beat any 'makeup' issues out of him. He doesn't want to come to Canada? Hey, there are a lot of places I don't want to go, but $3 million would change my mind.

My guess is that he wanted more money than the Jays were willing to pay. It happens. But man, again, I'd love to be able to turn down $3 million. Wouldn't that be fun? No thank you, I don't feel like being a millionaire today. But then, I work for cheese doodles.

Of course, the other possibility is that this is a negotiating ploy by Alex. Maybe he is calling Bickford's bluff?

UPDATE (Minor Leaguer)

Jon Heyman reports that Toronto had offered Bickford his slot value of $2,921,400.