Blue Jays 4 Astros 0: Mark Buehrle throws a 2-hit shutout

New, comments

The Blue Jays first win of the second half. All it took was playing the Astros.

Edwin was just out trying to stretch his double into a triple.
Edwin was just out trying to stretch his double into a triple.
Brad White

Astros 0 Blue Jays 4

So winning. I don't know what to do. Normally I have the third beer going by now.

That was a terrific start for Mark Buehrle. Complete game 2-hit shutout, with 9 strikeouts. Did you figure Buehrle would ever . Yeah it was against the Astros but still, a win is a win. The bullpen gets a much needed break. And he made it a quick game too, just 2:18, pretty good since Astro starter Erik Bedard wasn't exactly speedy. Bedard had a good game himself, going just 5 innings but allowing 3 hits, 1 walk, 1 earned with 6 strikeouts. Hardly fair he gets the loss.

On offense, we didn't do a lot, but then we didn't need to. 7 hits total. Jose Reyes had 3 of them, unfortunately Rajai Davis hit into double plays after the first 2 of those hits. Reyes got smarter for the 3rd hit, he doubled, making it tougher for Rajai to double him up.

We got the only run we needed in the 4th inning. Jose Bautista took a 2-out walk and Edwin Encarnacion doubled down the right field line, Jose went hard all the way to the plate. Edwin was throw out trying to get to third, but he had to figure the Astros would try to get Jose at the plate. We should have known we were going to win then, during the losing skid, Edwin would have been out before Jose scored, costing us the run.

We put up insurance runs in the 8th. Bautista and Encarnacion each walked to start off the inning. Adam Lind, pinch-hitting for Mark DeRosa, doubled off the left field walk, about 2 feet short of a home run, scoring Jose. Next up, Maicer Izturis singled home Edwin and Adam.

It was nice to get through a game without the usual sloppy baseball and defensive errors we've been seeing far too much lately.

Jays of the Day are Buehrle (.509 WPA) and Encarnacion (.125).

Suckage goes to Davis (-.145) for the 0 for 4 with 2 double plays.

Tomorrow R.A. Dickey (8-11, 4.75) gets to try to give the bullpen another day off. Jordan Lyles (4-4, 4.78) starts for Houston.

Nice game thread tonight, they are always more fun when we win. 37 of us posted 536 comments. Not bad considering how quick a game it was.

# Commenter # Comments
1 Tom Dakers 83
2 MjwW 57
3 Minor Leaguer 52