In a surprise announcement at the Buffalo Bisons' final home game, Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos and his counterpart Mike Buczkowski in Buffalo jointly announced that the two teams have extended their Player Development Contract (PDC) through 2016. The two men signed extension right on the field between innings.
Sealed with a handshake! #Bisons AND @BlueJays ink the deal on the field. pic.twitter.com/Qa0qKuht3D— Buffalo Bisons (@BuffaloBisons) August 29, 2013
Their initial PDC, which was signed last year on September 18, was set to expire after the 2014 season.
Buczkowski had maintained that there would be no talk of extension until 2014, so this was a pleasant surprise for everyone.
A Bisons press release supplied some quotes:
"We’ve seen a tremendous response from fans, both longtime followers and new supporters, since affiliating with the Blue Jays," said Bob Rich, Owner of the Buffalo Bisons. "We’ve found a great teammate in the Blue Jays and every element of our business is better with the strong commitment of our major league partner."
"We believe in the Toronto Blue Jays and the direction their organization is going. The future is bright for the Blue Jays and we want to be a part of what is sure to be exciting seasons to come in Toronto and Buffalo," said Rich.
"Our partnership with Mindy and Bob Rich and the entire Buffalo Bisons organization has exceeded our expectations," said Paul Beeston, Toronto Blue Jays President and C.E.O. "Our thanks to President Jonathan Dandes, General Manager Mike Buczkowski and Chief Operating Officer Joseph Segarra, who represent a talented organization that is among the finest in baseball. We look forward to working together to bring winning teams to both cities for the next three seasons and many more to follow."
Alex Anthopoulos went on Bisons television and spoke with Ben Wagner and Duke McGuire:
- Great reception from fans, looks like the are excited about the deal.
- So many Canadians come down here, so many Blue Jays jerseys in the stands. Our players coming back from the DL all talk about it.
- Definitely didn't draw up to have Bisons starting outfield to play in Toronto, was hard for us to do that to the Bisons.
- Tough to add players for Bisons, asked big league players who were released, but they wanted to wait for other opportunities to come up.
- Playoffs for the Bisons is a long shot but will wait until the end of the Bisons season before deciding who will be called up, but will definitely have some guys to call up.
- Luis Perez is on rehab and out of options, so could be back before Tuesday.
- Hopefully Colby Rasmus will get some time rehabbing with the Bisons in the next few days.
Blue Jays PDC Expiration Dates
- AAA: Buffalo Bisons - through 2016
- AA: New Hampshire Fisher Cats - through 2014
- A: Lansing Lugnuts - through 2014
- A (ss): Vancouver Canadians - through 2016
- Rk: Bluefield Blue Jays - through 2014