I have always been a proponent of 4 pm games on Saturdays. The Blue Jays used to play a bunch of them but in the past four or five years they've stopped doing it and bumped everything else up to 1 pm. I got to sleep in, run a bunch of errands, go to the gym, make lunch, watch the Davis Cup, and finally watch Munenori Kawasaki and Mark DeRosa chat it up on Intentional Talk with Kevin Millar (whose shirt will soon be banned in Quebec).
The normal 1 pm starts wouldn't have allowed me to do that. And because the game will end around 7 pm I can go for supper then drinks right after without having to wander around downtown. So good. I have no idea why they went to 1 pm in the first place.
Watch on @MLBTV, MASN 2 or #Orioles Radio Newtwork as O’s take on Blue Jays at 4:07 ET: http://t.co/lyyZMfGzZQ pic.twitter.com/Q6FCDPH0Ta— Baltimore Orioles (@Orioles) September 14, 2013
Today's @BlueJays lineup:(4:07pm) Reyes-SS Lawrie-3B Encarnacion-DH Lind-1B Sierra-RF Rasmus-CF Arencibia-C Goins-2B Gose-LF Rogers-P— Blue Jays-Official (@BlueJays) September 14, 2013
And the roof will be wide open in this very pleasant fall afternoon.
- Grinders: The Blue Jays are now fifth in the major leagues with 30 plate appearances where the batter has seen 10 or more pitches. In first place are the Red Sox with 36, and in last place are the Angels with 13. The Blue Jays are hitting .091/.300/.227 in such PAs. Here are the batters who have completed this feat (data via Baseball-Reference):
- Decisions update: With Steve Delabar's loss Friday night, the Blue Jays relievers have now recorded 56 decisions, tops in the majors and just one back from the franchise mark of 57 set in 2001.
- Cheap ball: A Blue Jays fan caught Chris Davis's 50th homer, and sold it for $100 to a bunch of travelling Orioles fans who then gifted it to Davis.
- Wishing her luck: Kelsey Panton will throw out the first pitch this afternoon to mark the Children's Wish Foundation's 20,000th wish granted. She will be on Blue Jays Central at 3:30 pm.
- CANADA WINS!!! Canada now leads Serbia 2-1 in the Davis Cup semifinals after winning today's doubles match.