John Gibbons: Jays have interest in Tanaka

New, 67 comments
Masahiro Tanaka
Masahiro Tanaka
Koji Watanabe

Shi Davidi reports:

The Toronto Blue Jays have engaged the representatives of Masahiro Tanaka, according to manager John Gibbons, but how aggressively the club intends to pursue the Japanese pitching sensation remains unclear.

This is confirming what we already knew, but hearing it from a team official confirms what Jon Heyman told us.

Course, I'll state the usual, the Jays talk to everyone, talk about everyone. Does that mean they will make an offer to Tanaka? No. I would imagine that they will see if the price will be somewhere close to what they can live with.

Shi also mentions:

  • Steve Delabar is pain free.
  • Anthony Gose hit .167 with 4 walks, in 7 winter ball games for Tiburones de La Guaira in Venezuela.
  • Moises Sierra played some first in the Dominican Republic. He could platoon with Lind, or maybe not.
  • Brandon Morrow is also pain free. We are going to need him.

And:

Melky Cabrera, who had a tumour removed from his back late in the season, is "doing great," according to Gibbons. "He looks like the old guy, but only time will tell on that."

To which Minor Leaguer responds:

He better not look like the old man that we saw last year. I could cover as much ground in the outfield. We need him almost as much as Morrow.

And there is also this news from Buster Olney:

Vernon will make $21 million for not playing baseball, $18.6 million of it will come from the Angels. Some team might pick him up, since, after he clears waivers, they would only have to pay him the league minimum.