Joe Maddon opts out of contract with the Rays

New, 104 comments
Bob DeChiara-USA TODAY Sports

Buster Olney tweeted this:

So he must be planning to go to the Dodgers with Andrew Friedman.

I'm not a big believer of the manager as genius thing, but it will be interesting to see how this affects the Rays this season. I think, if there is an effect, it will be more in heads of the players.

This year, with the genius manager, the Rays finished 77-85, it's hard to say that he made a huge difference. I don't think the best manager in the world came turn a losing team into a winner. Now, Maddon with the Dodgers....they are a very good team and, figuring that Maddon, they do have a manager that has shown he can lead a good team.

I'd be curious to see if a tampering claim could be made by the Rays. MLB Trade Rumors tells us that the opt out clause in Maddon's contract vested with Friedman leaving the team.

I don't have much to say about it, but I figured we could use a spot to discuss the news.

Update:

I wonder if that's right, I guess we'll find out soon enough. Maybe the Red Sox are going to fire Farrell from his dream job?

Update 2: