The next on the series of SB Nation Award poll is "the most regrettable moment of the 2014 season". I'm trying to ignore that the word regrettable is not very well defined. I'm also trying to ignore that every moment past May 31st was pretty 'regrettable'.
The poll choices are:
1. Marcus Stroman throwing behind the head of Caleb Joseph. Marcus did seem to understand, afterwards, that that wasn't the right thing to do.
2. Brett Lawrie leaves game with 'lower back tightness'. On August 5th, in his first game back from being on the DL with a broken finger, Brett Lawrie came out of the game with what turned out to an oblique strain, after just 3 innings. Brett missed the rest of the season. .
3. The Trade Deadline. Yeah, it is kind of cheating, but the lack of moves at the deadline certainly was regrettable. We hoped the Jays would make a move that help us in the playoff race. With hindsight, and considering last week's trade, maybe it is more regrettable that Alex didn't trade Adam Lind back then. Maybe, we could have gotten a better return than Marco Estrada.
4. On April 4th, the Jays announced they had DFAed, Jeremy Jeffress and called up Chad Jenkins. Unfortunately, 10 days hadn't passed since they had optioned Jenkins to Buffalo, so he couldn't be called up. They ended up purchasing the contract of Marcus Walden. 5 days later, they option Walden to the minors, without him making an appearance for the Jays and up came Neil Wagner. About a week after that, the Jays decided they needed Munenori Kawasaki and, to make room for him on the 40-man, they DFAed Walden. The next day Walden was claimed by the A's. It was just a total mess.
5. In an moment that echos the above....Esmil Rogers (having been given the DFA treatment earlier in the season), was added to the 40-man (Brad Mills DFAed) and was called up, on July 22nd. 5 days later, without pitching in a game, Esmil was DFAed for the second time, to make room for Nolan Reimold, who was activated from the DL. This time, Esmil was claimed by the Yankees. A month later, Reimold would see the letters DFA by his name and he was picked up by the Diamondbacks.
6. Passing around the hat to the team's best players, to try to sign Ervin Santana, was pretty regrettable (regrettable is a synonym for stupid, right?).
Oh let's stop there. I'm getting depressed. I was going to include 'Buck and Pat being signed for 5 years by Sportsnet' but I'm going to rule that one out on the feeling that it isn't precisely about the team.
Give us your vote.