FanPost

Video: Cuban Superprospect Yoan Moncada

For much of the last year, my filmmaking partner and I have been working on a documentary project on Cuban baseball (titled EL TROGON). With the rise in defections and now the change in US-Cuba relations the project has taken on new urgency and meaning. Given the increased interest in Cuba and Cuban baseball we decided to start sharing some excerpts and outtakes from the still unfinished film. The clip below featuring Baseball America's Ben Badler is the first interview we ever did for EL TROGON. The clip contains archival footage of 19 year-old superprospect Yoan Moncada from his days in Cuba's Serie Nacional as well as his recent workout in Guatemala.

As many of you know, I've been a longtime reader of Bluebird Banter so I wanted to share with you all the clip. And a sidenote: a few months ago I voiced skepticism at JaysSaskatchewan's contention that Moncada's deal would approach $100 million (including the penalty). Now, after weeks of pouring over Moncada footage and speaking to agents and observers, I can say that it is highly likely that Moncada's eventual contract will approach that amount and shatter international prospect records.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the footage and sharing more of the film with you as we go.

More importantly, Happy Holidays!

-Junior Felix Jr (aka Sami)

EL TROGON: Cuban baseball phenom Yoan Moncada from Sami Khan on Vimeo.