A day after non-tendering Justin Smoak, the Blue Jays have signed him to a 1-year, $1 million contract (just to make MjwW happy, I was feeling sorry for him, writing those two well researched posts and then he gets non-tendered). The Blue Jays saved themselves somewhere around $2 million doing it this way, as he was likely to get about $3 million if they hadn't non-tenderized him.
You guys likely know enough about Smoak, but if you don't you can read MjwW's two posts on the subject. Part one is here and part two is here.
I'm glad the Jays have those $2 million to use somewhere else. The good news is the hundreds of you that bought Justin Smoak jersey can still wear them proudly.
In other Blue Jays news, they have announced their Toronto chapter BBWAA player awards:
- Top Player: Jose Baustisa.
- Top Pitcher: Mark Buehrle (in a close vote over R.A. Dickey. I think I'd have voted for Marcus Stroman.
- Speaking of Stroman, he gets Top Rookie.
- Most Improved: Melky Cabrera.
- John Cerutti Award: Casey Janssen. This award is give to "a person that exemplifies the goodwill, cooperation and character as displayed by the late John Cerutti."