Bautista and Lawrie homer, Jays beat Angels

New, comments

The Blue Jays still haven't been swept this season!

Tom Szczerbowski

Angels 3 Blue Jays 7

I picked the right game of this series to watch. Glad I missed the first three.

This one was fun from the start:

  • Jose Bautista hit a 3-run homer in the first.
  • Brett Lawrie crushed a 2-run shot in the 6th. I don't remember seeing Brett hit a ball that far before.
  • And we got 2 more runs in the 8. Juan Francisco singled with the bases loaded.

Mark Buehrle had another successful start. He allowed a lot of base runners. He gave up 6 hits and 5 walks in 6 inning, but the Angels only got 2 runs off him. The defense did help him out by turning a couple of double plays.

Buehrle also got some help from Steve Delabar, who came in with 2 on and none out and struck out Mike Trout and then got Albert Pujols to hit into a double play. Delabar did give up a home run in the 8th to C.J. Cron but that was the only hit off in 2 innings.

Casey Janssen pitched a drama free 9th for his first appearance of the season.

Our offense made a reappearance. We had 9 hits and 4 walks. Bautista was 3 for 4, with the home runs and 2 bullets hit right at, and through, infielders. Everyone else in the lineup had 1 hit except Dioner Navarro (0 for 3, with a walk and 2 k), Colby Rasmus (0 for 3, 1 k) and Jonathan Diaz (0 for 4, 2 k).

Colby left the game in the 7th inning, with hamstring tightness, causing all sorts of moves. Bautista went to CF, Steve Tolleson went to RF, Lawrie went to 2B and Francisco came into the game to play 3B. I imagine a roster move is in our near future, but they might wait until morning to see how Colby feels after a night's sleep.

Jays of the Day are Delabar (.176 WPA), Bautista (.233), and Lawrie (.142). I'll give an honorable mention to Buehrle.

No Suckage Jays.

Our, very pleasent, GameThread had 876. We had a tie at the top of the leaderboard, but I'm giving the win to e&n4e because he didn't annoy me with Jayson Nix comments all game. So there, I stuck my tongue out in your general direction.

# Commenter # Comments
1 jmarples 67
2 e&n4e 67
3 Tom Dakers 66