Great start for Dustin McGowan, Jays beat Pirates

New, comments
Rick Osentoski-USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays 7 Pirates 2

I think Dustin McGowan wants to stay in the rotation. And he should. He went 7 innings, allowed just 3 hits, 3 walks with 5 strikeouts and just the 1 earned run.

And, almost surprisingly, the way the past week or so has gone, the bullpen held the lead. We got our first look at Marcus Stroman. Kind of mixed reviews. I like that he kept the ball at the bottom of the zone, but he gave up a triples (should have been a double but Colby bobbled it a couple of times), a hit batter and a sac fly before being pulled after getting us two outs. I wish Gibby would have left him out there for a bit longer, but I can understand him being a bit overly sensitive with the pen.

Brett Cecil came in and got the last 4 outs.

Our offense, again, was great. 11 hits, 4 walks. Home runs from Melky Cabrera and Colby Rasmus (a grand slam). Melky and Colby both had 3 hits. Jose Bautista had 2 walks to continue his on base streak, he's been on base every game this season. The only one in the starting lineup not to reach base was McGowan. Stupid NL baseball.

Speaking of NL baseball, Dioner Navarro pinch hit and singled, but looked terrible running to first. Gibby put R.A. Dickey in to pinch run (though at RA's age, maybe saying pinch walk would be better). I wonder if Dickey has ever been a pinch runner before.

Juan Francisco started a really nice DP from third base and Brett Lawrie looked decent at 2B, though I still don't want him turning the DP with someone sliding into his legs. He injures too easy.

Jays of the Day are Colby (.253 WPA with the grand slam) and I'm giving one to Dustin even with his .087 WPA. I think he earned it.

No Suckage Jays.

Nice game, I'm loving the offense. I hope this is the start of a winning streak. As bad as the last couple of weeks have been, we are only 2.5 games back of first. If we keep scoring, and keep getting good starts, we should be able to turn this around.

We had a nice GameThread with 759 comments (not bad considering the Raptors game and the two awful games to start this series). T-Vigilante led the way. Great job.

# Commenter # Comments
1 T-Vigilante 96
2 Tom Dakers 74
3 publius varrus 67