clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Blue Jays to call up Dan Johnson

Dan in real life, from spring training.
Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

It isn't a surprise, though I was hoping for Cory Aldridge, but according to Shi Davidi, the Jays are bringing up Dan Johnson to full the roster hole left when they put Adam Lind on the DL.

Johnson, a left-handed hitter, is hitting .248/.402/.471 with 17 home runs for the Buffalo Bisons. He hasn't had the best July, hitting .229/.449/.314 with 1 homer so far this month.

He has major league experience, he has played 416 games over parts of 8 seasons, mostly with Oakland. He also played for the Rays, White Sox and Orioles. He's got a .236/.337/.411 hitting line, with 56 home runs. He has almost no left/right splits, in his MLB career. His OPS is .746 against RHP and .751 against LHP.

Dan has mostly played 1B but has had a few games at 3B and the odd game in LF.

There will have to be a 40-man roster move coming, maybe Neil Wagner will be moved to the 60-day DL, he's been out since June 1 and I don't think he's due back soon.

Welcome Dan.

Update: Well, I was wrong, the Jays have DFAed Bobby Korecky. Korecky did have a moment on the Blue Jays active roster, this season, pitching twice, for a total of 3.1 innings, allowing 4 hits, 3 earned, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts. With the Bisons, he has a 0.57 ERA in 47 innings. I don't really understand why he's the one being dropped, but I guess the Jays figure he can make it through waivers.

More Updates: Minor League tells me that moving Wagner to the 60-day DL is a little more complicated than it should be. He would have to be reinstated from the 7-day DL (where he's been for the past month) and then put on the 60-day, where he would be paid in major league dollars and would be gaining major league service time, which, apparently, the Jays wouldn't want to do.