Bob Elliott: Jays can't take on extra money

New, comments
This must be what Alex feels like all the time.
This must be what Alex feels like all the time.
Tom Szczerbowski

Bob Elliott, showing a great ability to turn the Blue Jays fanbase into a tizzy, tweeted this:

Which is much the opposite of what Alex Anthopoulos has been telling us.

I have no reason not to believe Elliott. I do imagine that Rogers has told Alex that 'we gave you a ton of extra money last year because you told us it would buy us a contender. It didn't, that's all you get'.

I don't know, I would like a trade, but, the way we are playing, it likely wouldn't do us enough good right now. The old joke is 'we are only 3 players away from being a contender, Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb and Honus Wagner, but I have the feeling that even if we added those three we couldn't score.  If we don't start hitting, a trade isn't going to help.

On the other hand, a trade might give the players enough of a boost to get them going and keep us in things until Edwin Encarnacion and Brett Lawrie are ready to come back.

It does get the 'cheap Rogers' crowd going. Whereas Rogers is likely thinking that 'we are 9th in payroll now, isn't that enough? Why throw good money after bad.' 'The Orioles are spending $25 million less and they can lead the league?'

I'm sure it has been a while since we were in the top 10 in payroll. 4 of the 8 teams out spending them have better records

The big trades, from last year, likely cost the Jays any chance of adding payroll now, but then they caused a lot of excitement at the time.