Great start for Marcus Stroman, Jays win!

New, 105 comments
Tom Szczerbowski

Rangers 1 Blue Jays 4

The question on everyone's mind is 'Why didn't Casey Janssen pitch the 9th?" Apparently he is sick, he lost 7-8 pounds and has been on IV.

Finally a win, it has been so long. I hope it is the start of something good.

Marcus Stroman was just amazing. A terrific start. He wasn't getting any help from the plate umpire, he kept hitting the edges of the zone and kept not getting the calls, but he'd just throw something unhittable over the middle of the plate. Marcus went 7 shutout innings, allowed 4 hits, no walks with 5 strikeouts. If he would have gotten the calls, he would have gone 8 or 9 innings.

Brett Cecil came in for the 8th, giving up a walk and single, before getting an out. After the out, Dustin McGowan came in, gave up a ground ball single to give the Rangers their run, struck out Daniel Robintson, then struck out Adrian Beltre on a full count pitch that was high and off the plate, but Dioner Navarro wasn't able to catch it (it wasn't an easy one) and Beltre went to first. Bases loaded, two out, but Dustin got Jake Smolinski to chase strike 3. We got four strikeouts in the inning.

Aaron Loup came in and got a pretty easy save, despite a leadoff walk. Thankfully, our old friend, J.P. Arencibia followed with a easy double play ball and Rougned Odor flied out to end the game.

On offense, we had 12 hits, and 3 walks, so we should have had more than 4 runs, but 4 runs feels like 10, the way we have been playing lately. Melky Cabrera had 3 hits, Jose Reyes and Colby Rasmus had 2 each. Everyone else, in the starting lineup, had a hit except Juan Francisco, who was 0 for 2 with 2 strikeouts.

Dan Johnson drove in 2 runs, one on a double in the 4th and the other on a sac fly in the 7th. Munenori Kawasaki and Dioner Navarro drove in the other runs.

Colby has looked much better at the plate over the last couple of days. And he stole his first base since June 28, 2012. Colby also managed to anger Rangers pitcher Colby Lewis by bunting for a base hit. I'm not sure what Lewis' problem with it was, but he's having a terrible year so is likely grumpy. Jose Bautista also looked better at the plate, he hit a double off the right field wall in the 7th and took 2 walks. If those two could get hot, life would be so much better.

We bunted for hits 3 times, I think a very good plan with JP at first base, since he's new to the spot.

Jays of the Day: Stroman (.422 WPA), Rasmus (.093) and Johnson (.088).

No Suckage Jays, Francisco had the low mark at -.070, but he made a nice play on defense, so I'll forgive.

Source: FanGraphs

We had 937 comments, a much friendly GameThread, thanks all. Spor led the way again. Great job.

# Commenter # Comments
2 Tom Dakers 116
3 Alan F. 74
4 Pikachu 70