clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Amazing start from Marcus Stroman, Jays beat Red Sox

I still love saying 'Jays beat Red Sox.

For some reason we don't have any pictures from today's game. So here is yesterday.
For some reason we don't have any pictures from today's game. So here is yesterday.
Tom Szczerbowski

Red Sox 0 Blue Jays 7 8

The Jays win the 4 game series against the Red Sox 3-1. Can I say it again: Jays beat Red Sox.

That was just a super start from Marcus Stroman. 7 innings, 1 pop fly single, 2 walks and 7 strikeouts. I'm left wondering what it would have been like if he could have gotten calls on the corners from Angel Hernandez (that might have been the worse plate umpiring job I've seen this season. The guy really is something special. As my son, Dylan, said "I've never been so happy with a pitcher".

Our offense was pretty special too. 13 hits, everyone seemed to be hitting the ball hard. Even our outs were hard hit balls. We only had 2 strikeouts on the day.

Some of the better performances:

  • Gotta start with Juan Francisco. He was 3 for 4 with a triple (though I thought it should have been called an error on Jackie Bradley, since it went in out out of his glove), a homer and a 2-run single (which should have/could have been a double, but Dan Johnson pulled up at second, when I thought he could have made third easy). As well as the 3 hits, Juan had 3 RBI. Maybe he's figuring out how to hit again. He also made some nice plays with the glove at first, including a great catch on a David Ortiz hard hit line drive in the first inning, that he turned into a double play. Without that catch we wouldn't have been hoping for a no-hitter. He also pulled up early on a foul ball, that dropped into the first row of the stands, but we'll allow him that since he was so great.
  • Melky Cabrera went 3 for 4, all 3 hits were doubles, and a walk, with 2 RBI.Good to see him hitting the ball hard again. He also had a, less than graceful, slide into third that ended in a tag out. Again, he was so good we'll forgive.
  • Dioner Navarro was 2 for 3 with 2 walks. I'd be thrilled to see him get his bat going.
  • Ryan Goins was 2 for 4 with a double. Nice to see him hitting, and he made a great play at second.
  • Jose Reyes was 2 for 5. He had his own silly base running move, taking off from first on a fly ball that was caught easy, and getting himself doubled off. He was teasing Cabrera about his slide earlier, so it was only fair that he screw up and let Melky get even.

Just a great team offensive showing.

But the story really was Stroman. If he had gotten some strike calls, he really might have had a shot at a no-hitter, unfortunately without the calls, his pitch count went too high for him to go 9.

Todd Redmond and Rob Rasmussen pitched the last couple of innings, and kept the shut out. Rasmussen didn't look good, walking 2, I'd be surprised if he isn't sent down before the Yankees' series.

Red Sox slugger David Ortiz came out of the game, after, it looked like, he pulled something swinging the bat in the 9th. If he is out for any real length of time, I can't imagine the Sox getting back into the race.

Jays of the Day are STROMAN (.214 WPA), Francisco (.195) and Cabrera (.169), No Suckage Jays.

The Jays go up the New York for a weekend series tomorrow. I hate games at Yankee Stadium, but we are looking good now. I'm taking a much needed weekend away. My wife and I are taking in a music festival, can't wait. But I'll look in occasionally.

We had 1737 comments in the GameThreads, pretty good for a weekday afternoon game. We are die hards. T-Ball led the way to the win. Great job T.

# Commenter # Comments
5 the_humourisironic 99
6 Tom Dakers 96
7 stolarz88 85