Scratch a couple of names off the wish list: Cubs trade Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel to A's

New, 232 comments
Now an A
Now an A
Brian Kersey

So you really didn't want Jeff Samardzija and/or Jason Hammel did you? If you did, well, too bad. The Cubs traded the pair of pitchers to the Oakland A's for shortstop prospect Addison Russell and others.

Baseball Prospectus had Russell ranked as the 7th best prospect in baseball, so I'm not sure that the Jays could have out bid the A's, of course we don't know who else will be going to heading to the Windy City (or at least one of the Cubs minor league teams).

Update: Billy McKinney and Dan Straily are going to the Cubs along with Russell. McKinney, a center fielder, was the A's first round draft pick in 2013, number 24th overall. Straily is a RHP, he was Baseball Prospectus number 85 prospect before the 2013 season. He's made 41 starts for the A's, and has a 13-11 record and a 4.11 ERA, with 15 walks and 190 strikeouts in 230 innings.