clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

John Mayberry Jr ties game in 9th, with pinch-hit homer, but Jays lose in extras

Peter Llewellyn-USA TODAY Sports

Rays 6 Blue Jays 5 (10 innings)

John Mayberry Jr might be my favorite Blue Jay, at least at the moment. How amazing was that? 2 outs, down a run in the bottom of the 9th, 2 strikes against, and he hits a line drive that just cleared the left field wall (at it's highest, the ball wasn't twice as high as the wall) to tie the game.

Unfortunately, Brandon Morrow, who had a nice quick 9th inning, gave up a walk to start the 10th (squeezed by the ump) and a single to put runners on the corners (again squeezed). He likely should be just just throwing an inning at a time right now. Brett Cecil came on, and walked one to load the bases. A sac fly put the Rays ahead again.

And we couldn't do anything with the top of our order up in the bottom of the 10th.

The Jays made a game of it in the 8th, when Adam Lind hit a 3-run homer to make it a 1-run game. After hitting 4 homers all season, Lind gets them in consecutive game.

We didn't get our first run until the 7th inning, when Edwin Encarnacion hit a solo homer.

The Rays scored 2 in the 3rd, a Sean Rodriguez double and Ben Zobrist home run doing the damage. 2 more in the 4th, Evan Longoria singled, then Will Myers popped one to right that Jose Bautista lost in the sun, a double and the Rays scored both of them. If Jose catches that one, the Rays wouldn't have scored. And Yunel Escobar homered in the 8th.

Mark Buehrle went 6 innings, allowed 9 hits, 4 earned, 0 walks and 1 strikeouts. He wasn't great, but his line would have looked much better without the missed fly ball.

Dustin McGowan gave up a couple of hits, but no runs, in the 7th. Todd Redmond (pitching for the first time in days) gave up Yunel's homer, plus another hit, Aaron Loup came in to get the last out of the 8th. Then it was Morrow and Cecil.

We were out hit 14-7, so likely deserved the loss. The bottom of our order did next to nothing. Our original 5 through 9 hitters (before the pinch hitters) went 1 for 16, a Danny Valencia single.

We did get a challenge to go our way. Jose Bautista chased a ball to the right field wall and would have made the catch but a kid in the first row took it from him. Fortunately New York ruled it fan interference.

Jays of the Day are Mayberry (.488 WPA) and I'm giving one to Lind (.065, but I figure a 3-run homers gets you a JoD.

Suckage: Morrow (-.266), Rasmus (-.158, 0 for 4, 3 strikeouts. Didn't really make the case that he should be starting. He did hit the ball hard, into an out, in the 9th) and I'm give Bautista one, even though his WPA is only -.085, he really should have made that catch. He did made a beautiful diving catch in the first inning. Buehrle had the number too, -.155, much of that would have gone if Jose made the catch.

That one hurt. We pretty much have to run the table to have any hope at a playoff spot.

We had 894 comments in the GameThread. Pikachu lapped the field, good job sir.

# Commenter # Comments
2 Tom Dakers 78
3 MjwW 73
4 Strik3r 70