clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Who's Up, Who's Down On the Blue Jays: Batters

Tommy Gilligan-USA TODAY Sports

Thus far in September, the Jays are 8-5. The bats have picked things up from the awful August, hitting .273/.327/.435 and scoring 5.5 run per game. They aren't quite where they were in May, they hit .276/.343/.486 back then, but is nice to see that we can hit some again. Lets look at how individual batters are doing this month.

Batters

Blue_up_medium

Dioner Navarro He played 11 and started 10 of the 13 games. He hit .333/.405/.583, with 3 doubles, 1 home runs, 11 RBI, 1 stolen base, 5 walks and 8 strikeouts. He's been great with the bat lately, not so good with the glove

Blue_up_medium

Edwin Encarnacion

Edwin played in all 13 games. He hit .275/.351/.529 with 1 double, 4 home runs, 9 RBI, 6 walks and 12 strikeouts. It took him a bit to get his timing back, after returning from his injury, but he's got things figured out now.

Red_down_medium

Ryan Goins

Ryan played in all 13 games, starting 11. He hit .152/.176/.273 with 2 doubles, 1 triple, 1 RBI, 1 walk and 10 strikeouts. His defense is great, but I have a hard time believing that someone with a .449 OPS can really be helping the team. I wonder if we could petition the league into letting our pitchers bat and DHing for him?

Arrow_around_3_medium

Jose Reyes

Jose started all 13 games. He hit .291/.339/.382 with 1 triple, 1 homer, 5 RBI, 3 steals, 4 walks and 8 strikeouts. Considering his hamstring issues, he's been very good, at least on offense. Defense is another thing. They really should be giving him some rest now and then.

Red_down_medium

Danny Valencia

Danny started all 13 games. He hit .224/.226/.347 with 3 doubles, 1 home run, 8 RBI, 1 caught stealing, 0 walks and 10 strikeouts. He's been really bad.  Brett....you really can't get injured next year. We can't afford to be without you.

Red-cross-icon-1_medium

Melky Cabrera

Melky started all played in 4 games, hitting .143/.188/.214 with 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 walk and 4 strikeouts, before breaking his finger.

Blue_up_medium

Colby Rasmus

Colby's played in 8 games, starting 1. He hit .250/.308/.750 with 2 home runs, 3 RBI, 1 walk, 7 strikeouts. It seems funny to give an up arrow to someone that has been benched but harder still to give a down arrow to someone with a .750 slugging average.I guess I should have a little bench symbol.

Blue_up_medium

Jose Bautista

Jose started all 13 games (one in CF) and hit .300/.407/.520 with 2 doubles, 3 home runs, 14 RBI (20% of our runs scored this month), 1 caught stealing, 8 walks and 7 strikeouts. Happily we've gone a couple weeks without being told he's not a leader.

Blue_up_medium

Adam Lind

Adam played in all 13 games, starting 12. He's been great, hitting .405/.479/.667 with 3 doubles, 1 triple, 2 home runs, 9 RBI, 6 walks and 6 strikeouts. As much as I hate having a full time DH, he's doing a great job.

Red_down_medium

Munenori Kawasaki

Muni played in 9 games, starting 2. He hit .167/.286/.167, with 2 RBI, 2 walks and 0 strikeouts. .I think it says a lot about or team that he has pinch hit for us a few times.

Red_down_medium

Anthony Gose

Anthony played in all 13 games, starting 10. He hit .206/.243/.235 with 1 doubles, 1 RBI, 1 steal, 2 walks, and 11 strikeouts. Again I like his defense, but he's gotta hit better than that.

Arrow_around_3_medium

Kevin Pillar

He's played in all 13 games, starting 10. He hit .282/.300/.333 with 2 doubles, 1 RBI, 1 caught stealing, 1 walks and 11 strikeouts. The batting average looks good, if he had a bit of power and got on base a bit more, i'd be happy. I can't understand why Gibby preferred to have Bautista play center of him last night. I don't know if it says something about what the team thinks about Pillar's defense.

Red_down_medium

Josh Thole

Josh played in 4 games, starting 3. Hit .167/.167/.167 with 6 strikeouts. His season started out so good. And we heard about how he figured it out, but I think it is time to find someone else to catch Mr. Dickey.

Blue_up_medium

Steve Tolleson

Steve played in 11 games, starting just 1. He had 7 at bats, with 4 hits, 1 RBI and 1 strikeout. I don't know why they don't just put him at third base the rest of the way.

A few others had a a couple of at bats. John Mayberry Jr. was 3 for 6, with 2 doubts and 1 home runs. Juan Francisco, Dan Johnson and Dalton Pompey had an at bat each.