Valencia, Reyes, and Navarro All Homer, Jays Win

New, comments

3 wins in a row!

Brian Blanco

Blue Jays 8 Rays 2

September is looking so much better than August. We win our first game of the month.

That was a very nice start from R.A. Dickey. He went 7 innings, allowed just 2 hits, 2 earned, 3 walks with 6 strikeouts. I'll admit that when the first inning started with Zobrist reaching base on a passed ball on strike 3, I thought oh no, not again. But he got out of it without Zobrist scoring. The knuckleball was dancing all over. His second inning was tough, he loaded the bases on a single, walk and a hit batter. A pop fly single scored one and a sac fly to shortstop Jose Reyes (he was running away from the infield and didn't really have a chance to make a good throw him) score the Rays second and last run. R.A. wouldn't allow another hit.

Aaron Sanchez and Todd Redmond pitched perfect 8th and 9th innings respectively.

And the offense looks like like it is back. Danny Valencia hit a solo home run, Jose Reyes hit a 3-run shot (the big hit of the day) and  Dioner Navarro hit a 2-run pinch hit shot.

We had 11 hits, 2 each from Reyes and Jose Bautista (who missed out on hitting a home run for his 6th game in a row, but I think he'll be happy with the win). Edwin Encarnacion didn't have a hit, but took 4 walks. Ryan Goins had a triple in his one at bat. That was pretty great.

Dalton Pompey got his first MLB action, pinch running for Edwin in the 9th. He looked pretty fast going first to third on a Steve Tolleson single.

Jays of the Day are Reyes (.296 WPA), Edwin (.118). Melky Cabrera (.103) had the number too, but then he was just 1 for 5, with a double and 3 strikeouts. I'm not giving him one for that. But I think I will give one to Dickey, even though he was a little short of the number at .086, but a 7 inning 2 hitter is pretty impressive.

Suckage goes to Adam Lind (-.226 for an 0 for 3, with a walk and 2 strikeouts.

I watched the game from a bar....so I'll apologize for all the mistakes in advance, but thanks for the beers and the shot all.

You guys had a great GameThread, 1035 comments. Spor led the way, pulling out a close one over Kraemer_17. Great job young man.

# Commenter # Comments
3 MjwW 93
4 Belisarius 75
5 e&n4e 70