Dalton Pompey hits his first MLB home run off Felix Hernandez

New, comments

Pompey's first home run wasn't a cheapy.

I don't have a picture of him hitting the home run yet.
I don't have a picture of him hitting the home run yet.
Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

Can you imagine anything better. Hitting your first major league home run, at home, in your home town, off a pitcher that has won a Cy Young award and will likely win another one this year? Add in that it tied the game.

That's what Dalton Pompey did tonight. Leading off the 5th inning, down 2-1, Dalton took Felix Hernandez deep to right field. He hit it into the second deck at Rogers Center. I can't imagine how good that must feel, especially with your parents in the stands.

Hernandez was cruising, until that moment. He had gotten the last 11 Jays batters in a row. Dalton's shot opened the flood games. Felix gave up 4 more hits and 3 more walks (one of them to Pompey) before being pulled with just 2 outs. The Jays scored 7 runs in the inning.

That just the 16th home run hit against Hernandez this season.

This season must feel like a dream for a guy that started it in Dunedin, playing A-ball.

Congratulations Dalton. I hope it is the first on many you hit for us.