Jose Bautista homers and R.A. Dickey was great, Jays beat Red Sox

New, comments
This is what a home run looks like.
This is what a home run looks like.
Bob DeChiara-USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays 3 Red Sox 1

R.A. Dickey had a very good start and Jose Bautista hit a 3-run homer. And that was pretty much all that happened of interest in today's game.

Dickey went 7 innings (plus a batter), allowed 6 hits, 1 earned, no walks and had 4 strikeouts. He really didn't give up much that was hit hard.

Brett Cecil came in after Mookie Betts hit a pop fly, ground rule double, down the right field line (what a stupid park).  Cecil got Daniel Nava to strikeout (after he tried to bunt on the first pitch, just a silly move down by 2), Dustin Pedroia to ground out and Yoenis Cespedes to strikeout.

Casey Janssen pitched a nice quick 9th, for his 22nd save. He got 2 nice strikeouts and then a fly to the 'green monster' that Pillar made a nice catch on, banging against the scoreboard. Great to see him have a good appearance, after what we've had from him lately.

We didn't do all that much on offense. To start the 5th Anthony Gose walked, Jose Reyes singled and Bautista drove them in with a home run, and that was all we would get and all we neededw. That was the end of the road for Ruby De La Rosa. We did get 7 hits and 2 walks against him, in his 4 plus innings. e should have scored more.

Knuckleball pitcher Steven Wright pitched 5 innings of relief for the Sox and we couldn't do anything against him. We had just 2 singles and a walk, with 6 strikeouts, in the last 5 innings of the game. Even with a pinch hit appearance from Colby Rasmus, we couldn't do anything.

We had 9 hits in all, all singles except for Bautista's homer. Adam Lind was 3 for 4. Bautista and Kevin Pillar had 2 hits each. Nice to see Pillar getting hits.

We really should have scored more. In the 3rd, Pillar singled and Ryan Goins walked. But Gose tried to bunt, but Red Sox catcher Christian Vazquez made a nice play on it and threw out Pillar at 3rd base. I hate bunts with runners on first and second. De La Rosa was in trouble and we let him off the hook. Jose Reyes followed with a line out, Bautista got a infield single but Edwin Encarnacion struck out to end the inning. Gose had a second bad bunt, popping up a bunt single attempt later in the game.

Reyes was picked off first base in the 7th inning, not a good thing to do with Bautista at the plate.

Jays of the Day are Dickey (.224 WPA), Cecil (.199), Janssen (.094) and Bautista (.165).

Suckage goes to Danny Valencia (-.136, 0 for 3) and Edwin (-.117, 0 for 4, 3 strikeouts).

We had a quiet GameThread on a Sunday afternoon. 341 comments. gammaDraconis led the way. Good job sir.

# Commenter # Comments
1 gammaDraconis 75
2 madrush 68
3 Tom Dakers 49