Blue Jays win game 3 of ALDS: Big home run from Troy Tulowitzki

New, 231 comments

Gotta love Troy Tulowitzki. There is a game tomorrow.

Tim Heitman-USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays 5 Rangers1

I love Troy Tulowitzki!

Man did we, or at least I, need that home run. We might have been up 2-0 but it seemed like we were letting changes slip away every inning.

Then, 6th inning, we get the bases loaded, Chris Colabello gets to a full count. I was sure he was going to get a hit or a walk. He hit the ball hard, but right at the first baseman, for a 3-2-3 double play. He couldn't have hit the ball harder. The BABIP God and he crushes into a double play. Lots of swearing from me.

But Troy got to a full count and then he hit it out. Wow.

We got a run in the third. Runners on first and third (after a Dioner Navarro double and a Pillar single)  and Ryan Goins hits into a double play, but at least it scored a run.

We got another in the fourth. Donaldson led off with a double, moved to third on a fly out from Jose Bautista (great hustle Josh). The Rangers intentionally walked Edwin Encarnacion, then Martin Perez lost the strike zone, walking Colabello and Tulo to bring in a run. But, then, with the bases loaded, Navarro hit into a double play.

We had 9 hits and 5 walks. But then hit into 3 double plays.

Marco Estrada was great, yet again. 6.1 innings, 5 hits allowed (4 singles and a double), 1 earned, 0 walks and 4 strikeouts.

The bullpen was terrific. Aaron Loup got his batter (great to see him do well). Mark Lowe struck out his batter. Aaron Sanchez pitched a great, quick inning. Roberto Osuna gave up a line drive to center (caught) , a line drive to first (great catch from Smoak) and a long fly out to Revere. Not pretty but he got it done.

David Price warmed in the pen and we all figured he was coming into the game, but he didn't. I do figure he'll pitch tomorrow, if needed.

Jays of the Day: Estrada (.269 WPA), Tulo (.235) and Pillar (.116, plus a couple of nice catches).

Suckage? Revere had the number (-.112 for an 1 for 5) so he gets one. Colabello had the number too (-.095, 0 for 3 with a walk and a strikeout) but much of that comes from the double play before Troy's home run and he couldn't have hit the ball better, so he doesn't get one.

R.A. Dickey gets the start tomorrow. 4:00 Eastern start time.

We had 2414 comments in the 3 GameThreads. Belisarius led us to victory. Great job sir.

# Commenter # Comments
2 Tom Dakers 169
4 Eric H 160
8 ewangk 95