ALCS Game 4: That was depressing

New, 448 comments
Reliever Cy Pennington.
Dan Hamilton-USA TODAY Sports

Royals 14 Blue Jays 2

That was less than fun. Far Far less than fun.

R.A. Dickey just didn't have it today. It started off badly, a lead off bunt single, that I thought likely would have gone foul and then a home run. Then 2 more runs scored in the inning. Another run in the second and we were down 5-0. It has been so long since he's had a bad game, why did it have to be today?

Dickey only made it through 1.2, allowed 4 hits (uncluding 2 home runs), 5 runs (4 earned), 2 walks and 1 strikeout.

We scored a couple of runs in the 3rd inning and it seemed like we had a shot. But we should have scored more and we didn't score again all game.

In all we had 7 hits (only one for extra bases, a Donaldson double) and 2 walks.

Dalton Pompey pinch hit in the 9th and got a single.

Liam Hendriks did a great job in relief. 4.1 innings of 1 hit ball. That was the end of the good relief.

Latroy Hawkins came in and gave up a couple of hits and a walk and was pulled. With hindsight, I would have left him in.

Tepera came in, wasn't any better, he allowed the 3 inherited runners score, plus 4 more, while getting 5 outs.

Mark Lowe pitched an inning. He gave up a hit and a hit batter and in came Cy Pennington to try to get the last out. He gave up a couple more hits, but got the last out. I couldn't believe he threw a 91 MPH fastball and a slider. Sign him for the pen.

Jays of the Day: Hendriks (.107 WPA) and Donaldson (.101).

Suckage: Dickey (-.357) and Encarnacion (-.147).

Again, we need 3 wins in a row. It can be done. Marco Estrada, David Price and Marcus Stroman are guys I'd like to have pitching if I needed 3 wins.

We had 1661 comments in a pretty reasonable GameThread. Spockster led the way.

# Commenter # Comments
2 Tom Dakers 88
3 madrush 85
4 lalalaprise 82