Thursday Bantering: Gold Glove Award Finalists and more awards

New, 56 comments
One of these guys is a nominee for a Gold Glove.
One of these guys is a nominee for a Gold Glove.
John Rieger-USA TODAY Sports

Surprisingly enough, there is other Blue Jays news out there.

First, Rawlings has announced the finalists for their Gold Glove Awards. A few Jays are in the running. Mark Buehrle at pitcher, Russell Martin at catcher and Kevin Pillar at center field. I'd guess that Buehrle has the best shot at an award. The entire list:

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Pitcher
Mark Buehrle, Blue Jays
Sonny Gray, Athletics
Dallas Keuchel, Astros

Catcher
Jason Castro, Astros
Russell Martin, Blue Jays
Salvador Perez, Royals

First Base
Eric Hosmer, Royals
Mike Napoli, Rangers
Mark Teixeira, Yankees

Second Base
Jose Altuve, Astros
Brian Dozier, Twins
Ian Kinsler, Tigers

Third Base
Adrian Beltre, Rangers
Manny Machado, Orioles
Evan Longoria, Rays

Shortstop
Xander Bogaerts, Red Sox
Alcides Escobar, Royals
Didi Gregorious, Yankees

Left Field
Yoenis Cespedes, Tigers (he's now with the Mets, of course)
Brett Gardner, Yankees
Alex Gordon, Royals

Center Field
Kevin Kiermaier, Rays
Kevin Pillar, Blue Jays
Mike Trout, Angels

Right Field
Kole Calhoun, Angels
J.D. Martinez, Tigers
Josh Reddick, Athletics

NATIONAL LEAGUE

Pitcher
Jake Arrieta, Cubs
Gerrit Cole, Pirates
Zack Greinke, Dodgers

Catcher
Yadier Molina, Cardinals
Buster Posey, Giants
Wilson Ramos, Nationals

First Base
Brandon Belt, Giants
Paul Goldschmidt, Diamondbacks
Adrian Gonzalez, Dodgers

Second Base
Dee Gordon, Marlins
D.J. LeMahieu, Rockies
Brandon Phillips, Reds

Third Base
Nolan Arenado, Rockies
Matt Duffy, Giants
Todd Frazier, Reds

Shortstop
Brandon Crawford, Giants
Adeiny Hechavarria, Marlins
Andrelton Simmons, Braves

Left Field
Starling Marte, Pirates
Justin Upton, Padres
Christian Yelich, Marlins

Center Field
Billy Hamilton, Reds
Andrew McCutchen, Pirates
A.J. Pollock, Diamondbacks

Right Field
Curtis Granderson, Mets
Bryce Harper, Nationals
Jason Heyward, Cardinals

As well, Josh Donaldson has been elected, by his fellow players, as the Sporting News Baseball Player of the Year. Surprisingly, at least to me, Mike Trout finished well down the list, 6th. I think players are more impressed by RBI than the rest of us.

And, in amazing timing, Sporting News announced that Alex Anthopoulos was voted their2015 Major League Baseball Executive of the Year. This one is voted on by "47 major league executives". I wonder how many of their Executive of the Year winners have been left their job the same day of the announcement. I supposed I could check it out, but I'm lazy. He is the right choice.

I was going to recap Alex's press conference, but he really didn't give us any clues on the only question that matters, why? He said he wanted keep the job forever, he said that Mark and the Jays did everything they could to keep him, but, he said, it wasn't the right 'fit'. He never suggested why it wasn't the right fit. About only thing he was clear about was that he didn't want to be the CEO.