clock menu more-arrow no yes
Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

Jays not many, Rays too many

That wasn't what we were hoping to see from Mark Buehrle. He was in the basic 'throw it up there and hope they hit it at someone' mode. Unfortunately, they didn't hit it at people enough, and, when they did, we didn't make the plays. The Rays leadoff hitter hit a soft ground ball to Ryan Goins, who booted it (just Ryan's 3rd error at second). Then, after a nice play by Josh Donaldson, getting a force at second, and 2 singles, Steve Souza popped one between 1st and 2nd that Edwin Encarnacion missed catching by about an inch, and had it go off his throwing hand, for another error. A walk, grand slam, double and single later and Mark was out of the game, 1.1 innings short of 200 innings, missing it for the first time in his career.

It's too bad he couldn't get those 4 more outs, but it's good of the Jays to try to get him there.

His line was 0.2 innings, 5 hits, 8 unearned runs and 1 walk.

Ryan Tepera and Drew Hutchison each gave up a home run as well.

Liam Hendriks, Aaron Loup, Aaron Sanchez and Jeff Francis all managed not to give up any runs.

We didn't do much on offense, Chris Colabello had a solo home run and a single. Troy Tulowitzki had a double. Jose Bautista took 3 base on balls. Dalton Pompey doubled, followed by a Darwin Barney home run.

In all we had 9 hits and 5 walks.

Looks like we get the Rangers in the ALDS. And the Astros and Yankees will play in the Wild Card, as I type this it looks like it will be in New York, unless the Astros make a comeback.

No Jays of the Day. Mark has the suckage number (-.424), but that might be his last game as a Jay, I'm not going to have him go out carrying a Suckage award.

We had 1270 comments in the GameThread, pretty good for a game that was over in the first.  Belisarius led the way. Good job sir.

# Commenter # Comments
2 MjwW 95
3 gregtoronto 89
4 erik.t 82