Baseball America released it's Top Ten Blue Jays Prospects list. Here they are:
1. Anthony Alford, of
2. Conner Greene, rhp
3. Vladimir Guerrero Jr., of/3b
4. Richard Urena, ss
5. Sean Reid-Foley, rhp
6. Jon Harris, rhp
7. Rowdy Tellez, 1b
8. Max Pentecost, c
9. Justin Maese, rhp
10. D.J. Davis, of
There has been quite the turnover from last year's list:
1. Daniel Norris, LHP
2. Aaron Sanchez, RHP
3. Jeff Hoffman, RHP
4. Dalton Pompey, OF
5. Franklen Barreto, SS
6. Max Pentecost, C
7. Roberto Osuna, RHP
8. Richard Urena, SS
9. Miguel Castro, RHP
10. Sean Reid-Foley, RHP
Only 3 carryovers from last year:
- Max Pentecost moves down 2 spots even with all the movement off the list, though that he stays on the list at all after missing the entire season after shoulder surgery last winter shows how much people think of him. It would be really nice if he could get a season's worth of at bats this year.
- Richard Urena moves up 4 spots. I saw Urena this summer in Lansing and I was impressed. It would be nice if he would learn to take a walk, but he is just 19 (turns 20 the end of February) so he does have time to learn. He looked very smooth on defense and hit a home fun while I was there. He made it to Dunedin, before the season ended, so he was playing against guys older than him.
- Sean Read-Foley drops 5 spots, not really good news considering all the guys that left system. I saw him in Lansing too. He was pretty great in Lansing, putting up a 3.69 ERA, with 90 strikeouts in 63 innings, but he walked too many (43). Moved up to Dunedin, things didn't go quite as well, 5.23 ERA, but still 35 strikeouts, in 32 innings, but then 24 walks. He's just 20 so there is time for him to find the strike zone with a bit more consistency.
Of the rest Aaron Sanchez, Dalton Pompey and Roberto Osuna have graduated off the list. The rest left in trades: Franklin Barreto to the A's, part of the Donaldson deal. Miguel Castro and Jeff Hoffman to the Rockies in the Tulowitzki trade. Dan Norris to the Tigers in the Price trade.
The new name on the list are:
- Anthony Alford, who jumps all the way to the number 1 spot, on the strength of an excellent year,splitting time between Lansing and Dunedin, hitting .298/.398/.421 with 27 steals.
- Conner Greene gets the 2 spot, he pitched across 3 levels, Lansing, Dunedin and New Hampshire, putting up a 3.54 ERA in 26 starts, 132 innings, 115 strikeouts and 39 walks.
- Vladmir Guerrero gets the 3rd spot just for signing as and international free agent. He doesn't turn 17 until March.
- Jon Harris, number 6 on the list, was our first round draft pick last year. He threw a few innings in Vancouver, getting a 6.75 ERA with 21 walks and 32 strikeouts in 36 innings.
- Rowdy Tellez, is number 7 on the list, likely half on the strength of a great name, but also because he hit .289/.347/.454 with 14 home runs, splitting time between Lansing and Dunedin and then hit .293/.352/.488 with 4 home runs in 21 games in the Arizona Fall League.
- Jon Maese, number 9, was our 3rd round draft pick. He had a 1.01 ERA in 35 innings, with 6 walks and 19 strikeouts, in the Gulf Coast League.
- D.J. Davis gets the 10th spot. He hit .282/.340/.391 in Lansing, with 7 home runs and 21 steals.