Since the end of January, there have been a few changes to the Blue Jays' player numbers assignment, according to a very low-resolution photo posted by BlueJays.com's Gregor Chisholm. Since the Jays don't place players' surnames on the spring training jersey, study this chart well if you plan to catch some spring games this year.
- What numbers will Danny Valencia and Chris Colabello be truly wearing? We won't know for sure until they report. The Blue Jays' website back at the end of January listed them both as wearing #15. Then I got an email from the Jays' PR department saying that the website was in error and that Valencia is going to wear #15 with Colabello wearing #23. Right now, on BlueJays.com's roster page (as of the time of publishing at least), Valencia is listed as #15 and Colabello isn't even listed as an non-roster invitee (NRI). However, Chisholm's tweet shows that Colabello is indeed invited to spring training, but he is shown wearing #15 while Valencia is listed as #23! Madness!
- Ricky Romero's old #24 is now unassigned again. NRI Jake Fox was assigned that number and has since been shifted to Dustin McGowan's old #29 (update: it looks like McGowan will be signing with the Dodgers). Romero is still rehabbing his knee, so he will be reporting to minor league camp (his knee worked pretty well last night).
- The newly acquired Chris Dickerson takes over #33 from Andy Dirks, who will also be rehabbing in minor league camp.
- Devon Travis cedes his #9 to Ramon Santiago (veteran's privilege) in favour of #77.
- Jayson Aquino, who was acquired in a trade for Tyler Ybarra (update: his daughter is doing well), slots in at #78. If he wears that number in the regular season, he would have the second-highest uniform number of any Blue Jays player. The highest was #88, worn by Rene Gonzales (Gonzales' favourite number was 8 but took #88 after joining the Orioles, probably because he didn't want to be beaten up by Cal Ripken).
Sortable Spring Training Uniform Numbers
|51||Juan Pablo Oramas||40-Man|
|74||Dwight Smith Jr.||NRI|