The good news out of that game? Well, after some worry about Dalton Pompey, he said he came out of the game because of dehydration. And Mark Buehrle looks like he doesn't need spring training. He went 3.1 innings, allowed just 2 hits and struck out 2. He seemed great.
The bad news? Marco Estrada was terrible. He allowed 7 hits, including a home run and 7 earned runs while getting just two outs. It's just one spring game, I generally will ignore one bad spring outing, but this one was really bad. It is looking more and more like Aaron Sanchez and Daniel Norris will be getting the two last spots in the rotation.
Course Estrada would have only allowed 6 earned if Matt West hadn't given up a home run of his own, in relief of Marco, before getting the final out of the long 5th inning. Preston Guilmet also had a tough inning, giving up 3 hits, a walk, 2 runs (only 1 earned) with a strikeout, in his inning.
Liam Hendriks and Jeff Francis each pitched a scoreless inning and each had 2 strikeouts.
On offense, we had 7 hits, 2 of them extra base hits:
- Ezequiel Carrera: 0 for 4, with 3 strikeouts. He is still looking for his first hit of the spring.
- Dalton Pompey: 2 for 3, double. .333 on the spring.
- Josh Donaldson: 1 for 3, 2 k. .286.
- Caleb Gindl: 1 for 3, double, k. .412.
- Justin Smoak: 1 for 2, 2 walks. His first hit of the spring! .056.
- Devon Travis: 2 for 4, 2 k. .261. He's started hitting. I think he has a good chance to make the team.
- Josh Thole: 0 for 2, 1 k. .400. He's having a nice spring.
- Ryan Goins: 0 for 2, 1 walk, 2 k. .313. Having a good spring too.
Tomorrow the Jays play the Orioles. It is on MLB.tv! YAY!