That was not a good start for Aaron Sanchez. He walked 6, gave up 6 hits, 5 earned runs, with just 2 strikeouts in 4.1 innings. We shouldn't overreact to one bad spring start, but then control has been the part of Aaron's game that worries us the most.
He's young, he's going to have starts like this. But then older pitchers are going to have bad starts too.
Roberto Osuna struck out the side in his inning of work. Miguel Castro struck out 1 in his clean inning. Liam Hendriks gave up a solo homer in his inning. Brett Cecil pitched a scoreless 9th, giving up a hit and getting a strikeout.
On offense, the middle of the order did their job. Jose Bautista, Edwin Encarnacion and Josh Donaldson each homered. For Edwin, it was his first of the spring. Good to see him swing is coming around. Also, prospect Rowdy Tellez hit a 3-run homer in the 8th.
- Jose Reyes: 1 for 3. .333. I might be superstitious, but I'm hoping they don't play him in Montreal.
- Russell Martin: 0 for 4, k. .191. I'm not worried about his batter, just yet, for spring his job is to learn his pitching staff.
- Jose Bautista: 1 for 3, home run, walk, k. .325.
- Edwin Encarnacion: 1 for 3, home run, walk. .111.
- Josh Donaldson: 1 for 2, home run, 2 walks, 1 k. .326. He and Bautista look ready for the season.
- Dalton Pompey: 1 for 2, bunt single, 2 walks. .333. He was also caught steal, though Wilner thought he was safe. He's had a very nice spring.
- Justin Smoak: 1 for 3, walk, 2 k. .204.
- Kevin Pillar: 1 for 4, 1 k, double. .250.
- Devon Travis: 1 for 3. .351.
Tomorrow is the Blue Jays last spring game in Florida. They play the Red Sox. Then they are headed to Montreal for two games against the Reds. I'm heading to Montreal for the games, flying out tomorrow morning.
SB Nation is hosting a $6,000 one-day Fantasy Baseball league for MLB Opening Day on FanDuel. It's $5 to join and first place wins $1,000 and four tickets to a game.