A loss in Sarasota Florida.
The full part of this game was getting to watch Daniel Norris pitch. I thought he looked very good. He threw 36 pitches, 22 strikes, showed a really good curve and, after a walk to Adam Jones seemed to be locating all his pitches. He gave up a leadoff single in the first, a hard hit line up and the walk in the first but after that was very good, getting 2 strikeouts to end the first, then a couple of ground outs to start the second. After 2 outs in the second he hit his pitch limit. In all 1.2 innings, 1 hit, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts. A nice way to start his spring.
After he left the game it got a lot less interesting. We only had 4 hits on the day. A quick look at some of our batters:
- Ezequiel Carrera was 0 for 2 with 2 strikeouts, he's 0 for 8 with for the spring, with 5 strikeouts.
- Devon Travis was 0 for 3 with a strikeout. He was also caught stealing. He's 0 for 8 on the spring. I'd love to see him make good contact soon. It's early.
- Dalton Pompey was 0 for 3 with a k. He's 3 for 8, with a walk this spring. .
- Dayan Viciedo was 0 for 3 with a k.
- Justin Smoak was 0 for 3 with a k. He's 0 for 5 this spring.
- Danny Valencia was 1 for 2.
- Maicer Izturis was 1 for 2. He's 1 for 3 with a walk.
- Josh Thole.....well the box score says he was 0 for 1 with a walk, but I could swear I saw him hit a soft single. The GameDay boxscores have not been great. I wasn't the only one that saw Thole get a single:
- Chad Jenkins: 1 inning, 3 hits, a home run, 3 earned, 1 k. Chris Davis hit the home run and I'm not sure if he has landed yet. He had a tough inning.
- Jeff Francis, Preston Guilmet, and Colt Hynes each had perfect innings.I thought Jeff Francis looked good.
- Cory Burns gave up 2 hits, one a Jonathan Schoop home run, 2 earned with a strikeout in his inning.
- Roberto Osuna allowed a single and had a strikeout in his inning of work.