Home Opener Game Thread: Rays @ Jays

New, 828 comments
Tommy Gilligan-USA TODAY Sports

There is nothing like a home opener. The smell of the grass look of the freshly laid out turf. The first chance for the local team's fans to sit in the sun get a look at their home squad. Check out the new comers and decide for themselves if the old vets are in the best shape of their lives.

They are telling us that the new turf is slower than the old one. I'm wondering if this is giving away a home field advantage, as visiting teams sometimes had troubles making plays, maybe because of the speed of the ball. Mostly I'm hoping that the new turf stops all the ground rule doubles. Doubles, with a runner on first and triples are among the most exciting plays in baseball, when the ball bounces over the outfield wall, that excitement is gone.

Apparently there are going to be more and different food choices at the park. I'll be curious to hear, from those of you at the game, if there is anything new and good. Also, there are to be a couple more brands of American beer at the games. Under the drive you crazy subtitle, there are many good microbreweries in and around Toronto. Why they can't allow a selection of those (other than Budweiser is paying a lot of money to keep everyone else out) is beyond me.

And there will be WiFi this year. It took a surprisingly long time for the telecommunication giant of Canada to get WiFi in the stadium with their name pasted all over it.

With all that, I still think Rogers Centre is a good place to watch a game and today, with it full, it should be rocking.

Lineup

BLUE JAYS RAYS
Jose Reyes, SS David DeJesus, DH
Dalton Pompey, CF Steven Souza, RF
Jose Bautista, RF Asdrubal Cabrera, SS
Edwin Encarnacion, DH Evan Longoria, 3B
Josh Donaldson, 3B Desmon Jennings, LF
Justin Smoak, 1B Allan Dykstra, 1B
Russell Martin, C Rene Rivera, C
Kevin Pillar, LF Kevin Kiermaier, CF
Devon Travis, 2B Tim Beckham, 2B
R.A. Dickey, P Jake Odorizzi, P

GO JAYS GO!

Remember we have rules here. Mostly don't be terrible (it seems like a small thing to ask). No arguing with the Mods, you have a problem, email me, but in the thread, let's not debate rules.

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.