That might have been the most fun I've ever had watching a baseball game. I love this team.
It didn't start out great. Drew Hutchison just didn't have it tonight. He gave up 5 runs in the first and then 3 more runs, while just getting 1 out, in the third. He left the game with the score 8-1 and it looked like it was going to be another one of those horrible nights at Fenway.
But the Jays didn't quit. We got 3 runs in the 5th inning. Singles from Justin Smoak and Kevin Pillar, followed by a double off the left field wall by Ryan Goins, getting just his 2nd hit of the month, but you can't complain about his timing. An RBI ground out for Jose Reyes and a RBI single for Josh Donaldson and suddenly it is a 8-4 game and we have some hope.
Then came the 9-run 7th. Let's go through it, our friend, Mr. Farrell, brought Matt Barnes in to pitch:
- Kevin Pillar led off with a hard hit single.
- Ryan Gonis hit his second double off the 'Green Monster'. 8-5.
- Jose Reyes singles. 8-6.
Mr. Farrell brings in Junichi Tazawa. Thank you again Farrell.
- Donaldson singles. I thought it should have been an error on Pablo Sandoval, but I won't complain.
- Jose Bautista singles. 8-7.
- With Bautista on first, the Red Sox tried to pick him off, he had a large lead, and Sox catcher Blake Swihart throw to first, the ball beat Bautista back but he managed to avoid the tag. There was a review but he was safe.
- Edwin Encarnacion singled.
- Chris Colabello hit a ground ball to my new favorite third baseman, and Sandoval booted it. This time they called it an error (it was). 8-8.
- Russell Martin clears the bases with a triple to center. 8-11.
- Smoak homers. 8-13.
- After that we made 3 quick outs, but our first 9 up in the inning got on base and scored. That's pretty incredible.
Jays of the Day: Colabello (.146 WPA, with his dad in the stands), Encarnacion (.139), Martin (.112), Donaldson (.107 and he made a couple of great plays on defense) , Bautista (.101) and Goins (.100). I'm giving Smoak (.081) too, I figure 8 total bases and 3 RBI gets you a JoD. And I'm giving one to Bo Schultz, because we needed those scoreless innings. And all of us who continued watching and didn't turn off the game when we were down by 7, well, we all get honorable mention.
Suckage: Hutchison (-.410).
This is a thing of beauty:
There is a lot more to say about this one, but I need to go find food. I'm sure we'll talk about it more in days to come.
9 in a row!!! WOW.
We had 1759 comments in the GameThreads. gregtoronto led us to a great victory. Great job, coming just a little short of 300 comments.