Justin Smoak and Josh Donaldson homer, Jays beat Rays

New, 48 comments

It's nice to start the 'second half' with a win.

Dan Hamilton-USA TODAY Sports

Rays 2 Blue Jays 6

I missed baseball.

It took 4 innings to get going, but our offense showed why we lead the league in runs. We scored:

  • 1 in the 4th: Justin Smoak hit a 1-out double. Russell Martin singled him to 3rd and he scored on a deep fly by Chris Colabello.
  • 5 in the 5th: Devon Travis singled. He went to score on a Jose Reyes sac bunt, I thought Reyes was trying for a bunt single, it was very close at first. Josh Donaldson homered. Jose Bautista walked. Edwin Encarnacion hit a hard line drive to the gap in right for a double. And Smoak homered, to end the rally. It is the second homer of the inning the is the rally killer.
We only had 6 hits on the day, but 2 of them were home runs, and 2 more were doubles. And we took 6 walks. I'll take that in a game where Jake Odorizzi starts against us.  We knocked Odorizzi out of the game after just 4.1 innings.

Drew Hutchison had a nice start. Not great, but if he continues to pitch like that for the second half, I'd be happy. He pitched 6 innings, allowed 5 hits, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts, 2 earned. One of the runs came on a Grady Sizemore home run to center. I didn't know Sizemore was back in the majors until I saw the lineups before the game.

Bo Schultz pitched 2 very good innings of relief, allowing just a walk, while getting 4 strikeouts. I'm happy to see Gibby use him for 2 innings.

Roberto Osuna pitched the 9th, strange to bring your closer in up by 4 but, I'm thinking, Gibby wants Osuna throwing fairly regularly. I'd complain, but I'm happy to have a win.

There wasn't much for great defense, Devon Travis made a nice jump catch. It was nice time to come up with it, we scored 5 in the bottom of the 5th and the Rays scored 1 in the top of the 6th, and had a runner on first. That catch stopped any momentum the Rays might have been building.

In the 7th inning, Rays center fielder, Kevin Kiemaier made a nice catch at the wall on a Donaldson fly, that was just a couple of feet short of his second home run. It was easier to admire since we were up by 4 at the time.

Jays of the Day: Fangraphs is down, but let's give JoDs to Donaldson (1 for 2, home runs and 2 walks), Smoak (2 for 4, double, home run, 3 RBI) and Hutchison.

No Suckage Jays.

We had 617 comments in the GameThread. I led us to victory. I'm going to treat myself to an ice cream as a prize.

# Commenter # Comments
1 Tom Dakers 73
2 MjwW 63
3 Pikachu 62