Another good start from R.A. Dickey ends in another loss

New, 105 comments
Nick Turchiaro-USA TODAY Sports

Rays 3 Blue Jays 2

Sometimes you live by the home run, sometimes you die by it.

Today, well we died by it.

Gibby brought Aaron Loup into pitch the 7th, likely the wrong choice with some right-handers due up. Loup got an out and then gave up a home run to Brandon Guyer, which tied the game. An out later, Ryan Tepera comes in, gets the last out of the inning, but then gives up the go ahead home run in the 8th, to someone named Curt Casali. It hurts more to lose on a home run to someone unknown.

R.A. Dickey pitched a very good game, and doesn't get the win again. He pitched 6 innings, allowed just 4 hits, 1 walk with 4 strikeouts. He allowed just 1 run, and he was unlucky there. He gave up a leadoff walk to Tim Beckham, then made a nice pickoff throw to first, the umpire called Beckham out. But the Rays challenged and, even though it was pretty tough to call on the replays, the call on the field was overturned. I really didn't think there was enough evidence to overturn the call but New York disagreed. Stupid replays. A ground out moved Beckham to second and a John Jaso ground-rule double, scored the 1 run against RA.

We really should have scored more than 2 runs. We scored our runs on doubles by Kevin Pillar and Devon Travis in the 5th and a solo homer by Jose Bautista in the 6th.

We only had 6 hits and a walk in total. Jose Reyes had 2 of the hits. Edwin Encarnacion had a double, and then there were the 3 hits that got us our runs.

We wanted Justin Smoak in the lineup, he rewarded us with an 0 for 4 with 2 strikeouts. Yeah, not fair. We also had 0 fors from Josh Donaldson (0 for 4, 1 k), Russell Martin (0 for 4, with a fly to the track in CF) and Ezequiel Carrera (0 for 3).

Reyes made an error in the first inning, but RA was able to strand the runner. Evan Longoria evened things up by making his own error, he seems to have a rough time on defense in Rogers Centre.

Jays of the Day: Dickey (.209 WPA) and Bautista (.171, and that's not counting a nice catch he made on a soft popup that both Travis and Smoak lost in the sun).

Suckage: Donaldson (-.240, though he made a couple of nice plays on defense), Smoak (-.207, he really could have helped us with a hit with RISP), Martin (-.159, and he seemed to hurt himself running to first on a ground out, but he stayed in the game), Tepera (-.178) and Loup (-.129).

We had 663 comments in a bit of a grumpy GameThread, I was the lead grump. Yay, I guess.

# Commenter # Comments
1 Tom Dakers 94
2 Pikachu 76
3 MjwW 60