I figured it was time to take a look at how the players on our top 40 prospect list are doing. This isn't a reorder, just a review of how the guys on our list are doing. Let's start at the bottom and work our way up.
31. Ryan McBroom, 1B/DH: He is having a terrific season in Lansing, hitting .347/.418/.502 with 5 home runs, 35 walks, 66 strikeouts in 86 games. He's played first base, DH and 10 games in left field. His June was great, .413/.469/.600, but he's hit over .300 every month of the season. He's 23, a bit old for the level, I wonder what he has to do get moved up a level, he seems to have proven all he needs to at Lansing. He was a 15th round pick last year, out of the University of West Virginia.
32. Chad Girodo, LHP: Another having a terrific season. Started the year in Dunedin, had a 1.32 ERA in 27.1 relief innings. Allowed 17 hits, 7 walks with 32 strikeouts. Moved up to New Hampshire and has continued to be great, 0.87 ERA in 10.1 relief innings, allowed 12 hits, 0 walks and 6 strikeouts. He's 24, but with the mess that is our bullpen, he might have a shot at making it to Toronto at some point.
33. D.J. Davis, OF: He's having an ok season in Lansing, hitting .283/.337/.392, with 4 home runs, 25 walks, 74 strikeouts, 13 steals, 8 times caught. He looked smooth on defense when I watched him in Lansing. He was out first round pick in 2012, just 20 years old, but not really hitting like a first round pick, but he's got a bit of time yet. If nothing else, he'd be a nice fourth outfielder type. He's played all 3 outfield spots this season.
34. Adonys Cardona, RHP: Injured, hasn't pitched yet this year. The most I could find out about him was a Spanish language tweet, from July 4, that translated to: "Adonys Cardona was operated to remove one of the screws to him last year slipped to feel pain. The season is lost." Not good.
35. Evan Smith, LHP: Smith is pitching in Vancouver, he's had kind of a rocky start to his season. In 5 games, 4 starts, he has a 3.43 ERA. In 21 innings he's allowed 24 hits, 3 home runs, 8 walks and 14 strike outs. He's allowed 8 earned, but 15 total runs. He's just 19.
36. Nick Wells, LHP: Our 3rd round pick in 2014 is pitching in Bluefield. In 5 starts, he has a 4.70 ERA. 23 innings, 20 hits, 4 home runs, 7 walks and 24 strikeouts. Have to like that strikeout to walk rate. He went 6 innings allowing just 2 hits, 2 walks, no runs with 8 strikeouts in his last. He's 19. He was just named ‘Appalachian League Pitcher of the Week'.
37. Matt Dean, 1B: Dean is playing in Dunedin, hitting .261/.314/.417 with 9 home runs, 24 walks and 93 strikeouts in 84 games. He's been hitting better the last couple of months, in June he hit .298/.340/.426 with 8 walks and 23 strikeouts in 22 games. He's been playing first base and DH. He's 22, if he's going to be a prospect, he's going to have to show it soon.
38. Grayson Huffman, LHP: He's in Bluefield, but hasn't pitched much, 4 relief appearances, 5.1 innings, 8 hits, 6 earned, 5 walks, 4 strikeouts. He was our 6th round pick in 2014.
39. Tom Robson, LHP: Coming back from Tommy John surgery, Tom has made 1 starts for Vancouver (3 innings, no hits, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts), after 3 appearances in the GCL (4.2 innings, 9 hits, 2 earned, 1 walk and 5 strikeouts).
40. Chase Mallard, RHP: Pitching for Lansing. He's pitched in 20 games, 6 starts, and has a 5.45 ERA. In 72.2 innings, he's allowed 91 hits, 4 home runs, 19 walks with 56 strikeouts.