Home runs from Martin, Bautista and Encarnacion help Jays beat A's

New, 254 comments
Bob Stanton-USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays 7 A's 1

I think it is official.  We won the trade. Josh Donaldson had a double and a single, while Brett Lawrie just had a couple of puny singles and the Jays scored 6 against Kendall Graveman and chased him from the game after 5.1.

Mark Buehrle had another very good start. He went 7 innings (I think he could have gone 8 easy), allowed 8 hits, 1 earned, 0 walks, with 3 strikeouts. Mark still hasn't walked a batter in July. 29 innings without a base on balls. He has been a lot of fun to watch.

Ryan Tepera and Steve Delabar pitched the 8th and 9th respectively.

On offense, we had 10 hits and 5 walks. 3 of the hits were home runs, solo shots for Edwin Encarnacion and Jose Bautista and a 3-run shot from Russell Martin. His home run gave us a 4-run 6th inning which put the game to rest.  That's just Martin's second home run of July. It would be nice if he could get on another hot streak. We had 2 hits each from Jose Reyes, Donaldson, Martin and Kevin Pillar. Pillar also stole 2 bases. Edwin had a nice game too, drawing 2 walks to go with his home run.

Everyone in the starting lineup reached base at least once, expect for Ezequiel Carrera, who had an 0 for 4 with a strikeout. I'm all for switching him and Dalton Pompey.

Not too much else of interest. Donaldson made a throwing error (his 11th error of the season, tying Reyes for the team lead), but it didn't cost us. Reyes was caught stealing for just the second time this year.

Pillar stole 2nd and 3rd base, in the 5th inning, but we weren't able to score him. The first steal looked a bit like a delayed steal (but then I was watching in a bar and didn't hear the play by play). A's catcher Stephen Vogt went to throw behind Pillar, at first, then, when he realized he should throw to second, no one was there to take the throw.

Jays of the Day: Buehrle (.282 WPA), Encarnacion (.111). I'm going to give one to Martin too, I figure a 3-run homer gets you a JoD, even if you only have a .054 WPA. Honorable mention to Pillar. No Suckage Jays.

And I learned a very important lesson tonight....if you go to the bar to watch a ball game, make sure they aren't doing karaoke.....I'm sure Hell will be 24/7 karaoke. When they started on Bohemian Rhapsody I had to leave.

You guys had 1090 comments in the GameThread without me. T-Ball led the way to victory. Great job.

# Commenter # Comments
1 T-Ball 87
2 Pikachu 82
3 MjwW 76