Jays lose in extras

New, 114 comments

Losing on a play that closer hardly seems fair.

Ed Szczepanski-USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays 3 A's 4 (10 innings)

That was sad.

Roberto Osuna has been so good, it is really sad that he has to take a loss on a play as close as this:

Jose Reyes did all he could to make that play, I don't think Goins could have done better. It was just so close. Great job on Reyes' part, but just a tiny bit too late.

We really should have scored more. 12 hits and 5 walks should add up to more than 3 runs. Danny Valencia had a big home run in the 7th. Jose Bautista had a 'clutch' base on balls, in the 9th, to tie the game, and get us into extras.

Russell Martin had a 3 for 4 day and then got pulled for a pinch runner in the 8th, a move you could argue, but, at that moment, we needed a run.  Then, amazingly, in the 9th, his replacement behind the plate, Dioner Navarro make a great throw to get a big caught stealing.

Josh Donaldson and Valencia each went 2 for 4. Everyone in the starting lineup had at least 1 hit, except Chris Colabello, who's luck with BABIP seems to have run out.

Felix Doubront battled through 4.2 innings, giving up 7 hits, 2 walks, getting just 1 strikeout, but only giving up 3 runs, 2 of them earned. I will admit to yelling at the TV in the 5 inning, begging Gibby to pull him from the game, when he had the bases loaded.

We had a rare sighting of Liam Hendriks (someone found him from his pictures on milk cartons). He got out of the 5th inning, with a lot of help from Devon Travis, who made just an amazing catch on a Brett Lawrie line drive. Travis seems to make a great leaping catch of a line drive every other day. Liam then pitched a perfect 6th. I thought he could have gone longer.

Aaron Loup came out for the 7th, got a ground out, then Jose Reyes made his 12 error of the season. A walk later and Loup was out and Bo Schultz was in to get a nice double play. I thought Bo should have pitched the 8th, but Brett Cecil came in and got 2 strikeouts and a ground out, around a single. Cecil started the 9th, got a strikeout, then gave up a walk and Osuna came in to finish the inning.

But in the 10th, Osuna gave up a 1-out double to Josh Reddick. Reddick moved to third on Brett Lawrie's ground out and then scored on the very close play embedded above.

There was a bit of a battle of defensive standout plays by the two third basemen in the game. I think Lawrie won the battle with a couple of plays that reminded us of what he used to do on defense for us.

Jays of the Day are Valencia (.243 WPA), Bautista (.210) and Travis (.181, plus the great play on defense).

Suckage goes to Osuna (-.244, hardly fair really, but I'm not claiming to be fair), Doubront (-.196), Edwin (-.255), Colabello (-.242), Navarro (-.166....tho his caught stealing should even that out a lot), and Pillar (-.126).

There was 1251 comments in the GameThread. Pikachu led the way, great job.

# Commenter # Comments
4 Belisarius 98
5 MjwW 64
6 Diamond_D86 50