Who's up, Who's down: Blue Jays Batters

New, 7 comments
Dan Hamilton-USA TODAY Sports

Over the past couple of weeks, the Jays are 5-7. The offense has averaged 5 runs a game over the 12 games. Averaged is a funny word for what they have been doing with the bats. In the 12 games they have scored 3, 9, 8, 3, 1, 12, 0, 3, 1, 3, 11 and 6 runs. So while they have averaged 5 runs a game, they've never scored 5 runs in a game, or 4, they scored 6 runs once, never seven. It's sort of like me learning archery...I miss high a bunch, and miss low some, but on average I'm right on the bullseye.

Batters

Red Down

Russell Martin Russell started 10 of the 12 games, DHing twice. It feels, to me, that he is resting more than he actually is. He's hit .161/.325/.419, with 2 home runs, 2 doubles, 3 RBI, 1 steal, 5 walks and 9 strikeouts. And 3 times hit by pitch. I like that, even though he's slumping, he gets on base.

Arrow around

Edwin Encarnacion

Edwin started all 12 games, 7 at first base, 5 at DH. He hit .227/.327/.545 with 2 doubles, 4 home runs, 10 RBI, 6 walks and 6 strikeouts. Batting average isn't great, but gotta like all the home runs.

Blue Up

Devon Travis

He's back, played in 6 games, hit .381/.381/.476 with 2 doubles, 2 RBI, 1 caught stealing, 0 walks and 2 strikeouts. I'm so happy he is back. I see a lot of complaints about his fielding, and he has made the odd mistake, but Fangraphs has him at a 13.4 UZR/150 (small sample and all).

Red Down

Jose Reyes

Jose started all 12 games at shortstop. I wish we would DH him occasionally or give him the odd day off. He had a really good day on Canada Day, but,other than that, he's been slumping. .235/.278/.392, 2 doubles, 2 home runs, 5 RBI, 1 steal, 3 walks and 6 strikeouts as well as a sac bunt.

Arrow around

Josh Donaldson

Josh played in 11 games, one of them as a DH. He's been good, .277/.333/.468 with 3 doubles, 2 home runs, 6 RBI, 4 walks and 12 strikeouts. His June wasn't quite what his May was, but he's had a good start of July.

Blue Up

Kevin Pillar

Kevin started all 12 of the games in CF. You don't need me to tell you that he's been great. .400/.413/.556, 4 doubles, 1 home run, 3 RBI, 2 steal, 1 walk and 7 strikeouts. A well deserved Blue Jays player of the month. I'd like him to take walks more often, but if he hits .400, I'm ok with him not.

Red Down

Chris Colabello

Chris played in 8 of the 12 games, starting 5 games in LF and 3 at first base. After watching him yesterday, I'm unsure which position I'd rather have him play. He hasn't been hitting, .233/.258/.400 with 2 doubles, 1 home run, 5 RBI, 1 walk and 10 strikeouts. Seems like everything isn't falling in for him anymore, his BABIP has dropped to .316 over the last couple of weeks. If he had some power and wasn't allergic to taking walks, I'd likely give him more of a pass for a slump, but his value is just about all batting average. I'd rather give his at bats to Smoak, if it were up to me, at least for a couple of weeks.

Arrow around

Jose Bautista

Jose played all 12 games, DHing in 1. He's been good, but not Jose Bautista good. .220/.377/.463 with 1 double, 3 home runs, 11 RBI, 1 caught stealing, 11 walks and 6 strikeouts.

Blue Up

Justin Smoak

Justin played in 7 games, starting 2. He's like a groundhog, he comes out, if he sees his shadow, it's another 6 weeks on the bench. He hit .273/.273/.818 in 11 at bats. He had 3 hits, 2 of them Canada Day home runs. Why don't we play him for awhile and see what we have?

Blue Up

Dioner Navarro

Dioner played in 9 games, starting 7. He started 4 games at catcher and 3 at DH. He hit .280/.379/.560 with 1 double, 2 home runs, 2 RBI, 4 walks and 4 strikeouts. The 2 week period broke nicely into a great first week and a 0 for 9 second week. But you can't complain about the overall numbers.

Blue Up

Ezequiel Carrera

Ezequiel played in 9 games, starting 6. He's been good, .286/.375/.429 with 1 home run, 4 RBI, 1 caught stealing, 3 walks and 5 strikeouts.

Blue Up

Danny Valencia

Danny played in 7 games, starting 3. He hit .313/.353/.688 in 17 PA, with 2 home runs, 4 RBI, 1 walk and 2 strikeouts. He's had a very good season, unfortunately for him, we don't see that many lefties.

Red Down

Ryan Goins

Ryan played in 8 games, starting 6. He hit .053/.053/.053, with 1 hit in 20 PA and 1 sac bunt. I'm glad Travis is back.

Red Down

Munenori Kawasaki

Munenori played in 3 games, starting 1, 4 at bats, no hits and down to Buffalo.