Three Blue Jays in Baseball Propectus Top 50 Midseason Prospects

New, 77 comments
Daniel Norris
Daniel Norris
Jeff Griffith-USA TODAY Sports

Baseball Prospectus has put up their list of Top 50 Prospects at the midseason point (subscription required) and there are 3 Blue Jays on the list: Daniel Norris (at #9, moving up from 34 on their preseason list), Jeff Hoffman (at #18, moving up from 73) and Dalton Pompey (at #25, moving up from 42). Number 1 on their list is Dodgers shortstop Corey Seagar.

About Norris they say:

After starting the year in the major-league rotation, Norris returned to Triple-A for further seasoning. While there was something of a hangover effect after being optioned, the 22-year-old is back to flashing the stuff that makes him one of the top left-handed prospects in the game. It's only a matter of time before the next opportunity in The Show presents itself. Expect Norris to put a stake in a rotation spot the second time around. - Chris Mellen

About Hoffman:

Heading into the 2014 college season, Hoffman was pegged as a potential 1:1 pick coming out of East Carolina, but Tommy John surgery derailed that plan and the Blue Jays picked up a potential premium talent much later than he should have been available. Finally back on the bump this summer, Hoffman has worked his fastball as high as 99 mph in the Florida State League, while both of his secondary pitches are flashing well. He still needs to display improved command and overall consistency if he is to reach his considerable potential, but Hoffman could quickly turn into one of the top pitching prospects in the game, if he's not already. -Mark Anderson

And about Pompey:

Pompey’s developmental track has been unusual, starting out slow before kicking into high gear last season. The Blue Jays took advantage of the momentum and rushed him all the way to the majors, his fourth level of 2014. It proved to be too much, too soon, but his skill set never wavered, even after struggles back in Triple-A. Now back where he belongs for the time being, Pompey is back to his versatile up-the-middle ways that should land him atop the Blue Jays lineup once he’s finally ready. –Jeff Moore

I'm pretty ready to see Norris come back to the rotation, it isn't like he could be worse than the guys they've tried filling in for Aaron Sanchez, but it seems like Felix Doubront will get the next shot at the job. In his last 5 games in the minors Norris has 26 strikeouts (just 1 in his last start) and 11 walks in 27.1 innings. I guess "couldn't be worse" is a bad reason to call someone up, but I wouldn't mind someone watching someone I think is going to improve.

I'm also close to where I'd like to see Dalton Pompey back. The shine is coming off Chris Colabello for me, though he's still been ok with the bat. Over the past 2 weeks Colabello is hitting .259/.286/.519, with 2 home runs, but the adventures in the outfield are wearing thin with me. It isn't Colabello's fault that he isn't an outfielder, but I'd just like to have Dalton's glove out there again. Pompey has hit .413 over his past 10 games at New Hampshire, with 2 home runs, 6 walks and 9 strikeouts.

Of course, since I don't want either of them up unless the team is willing to commit to them and play them for at least a couple of months and since my Jays can't seem to make a decision and stick with it, maybe it would be best if they wait before bringing them up.  .

Hoffman has a 3.45 ERA in 9 starts at Dunedin. He's thrown 44.1 innings, allowed 47 hits, 14 walks and 27 strikeouts. Anyone want to fly down to Dunedin with me to check him out for a couple of starts?