Who's up, Who's down: Blue Jays pitchers

New, 19 comments
Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images

Over the past two weeks, the Blue Jays are 5-7. The pitchers had a 3.86 ERA, which is pretty good really. There are more up arrows than you would expect.

Pitchers

Red Down

R.A. Dickey

R.A. had 2 starts, one okish (6 inning 3 earned), one bad (5.2 innings, 5 earned). He took the loss in both. In total, 11.2 innings, 6.17 ERA, batters hit .370/.453/.587 against him with 1 home run, 5 walks and 4 strikeouts. I don't know what is going on with him, but it has been half a season now and nothing is improving. Before the season I said that I didn't think the Jays would be picking up his option. Now I'm sure of it.

Blue Up

Mark Buehrle

Mark made 3 starts, had 1 complete game, pitched 7 innings in each of the other 2. He gave up 2, 1 and 0 earned runs in the starts. Had 2 wins and a loss, you likely remember the loss (hint, it was the game he didn't allow an earned run). In the 3 starts he brought his season ERA down from 3.81 to 3.38. In the 3 games, he had a 1.23 ERA, over 22 innings, batters hit .222/.241/.358 with 1 home run, 2 walks and 14 strikeouts. 2 walks over 22 innings. He goes through these streaks where he's just great. I wonder if he would make a good pitching coach? I guess it doesn't matter, he's made enough money in his playing career, that I very much doubt he'd want to coach after.

Blue Up

Marco Estrada

Made 2 starts, one a near perfect game  (8.2 innings, 2 hits, 0 walks and 10 strikeouts), one a terrible start (2.1, 3 hits, 4 runs, 2 earned, 4 walks, 1 strikeouts 2 home runs) and one kind of in the middle (5.0, 5 hits, 2 earned, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts). In all a 2.25 ERA. In 16 innings batters hit .169/234/.322. Despite the bad start, I think he's earned an up arrow.

Red Down

Drew Hutchison

Drew  made 2 starts. 1 home start that was pretty good (5.2 innings, no earned runs) and one road start that was awful (4.2 innings 5 earned). In all, he was 1-1 with a 4.35 ERA (he had 3 unearned runs against in the 2 starts). In 10.1 innings batters hit .326/.388/.395 against him. I don't understand the home/road splits at all. Normally I'd just figure they were a fluke and expect them to normalize, but it seems like there might be something to this. Maybe it started as a fluke and then it got into his mind and he's thinking about it too much? Kind of a marginal down arrow.

red cross

Aaron Sanchez

Might be back after the All-Star break.

Blue Up

Brett Cecil

Pitched in 4 games, allowed just 4 hits in 16 at bats, with 1 double and 2 walks (1 intentional), he got the extra inning win in Marco Estrada start. Batters hit  .250/.333/.312 line with 5 strikeouts. No runs against. He is going to have to continue to pitch well for a little while longer, if he's going to get Gibby's trust back. I think he'll be pitching in mop up spots for a normal couple of weeks.

Blue Up

Roberto Osuna

Roberto pitched in 5 games, got 3 saves in 3 opportunities. in 5 innings he allowed 5 hits (2 doubles), 1 earned, struck out 3, no walks. Batters hit .263/.250/.368 line. 1.80 ERA. He does seem to be of the 'bend but not break' variety.

Red Down

Aaron Loup

Aaron pitched in 6 games, he had 2 holds. Some good, some not so good appearances. He had a 6.23 ERA in his 4.1 innings. Batters hit .350/.381/.500 against him. He seems to be Gibby's favorite and really, he's been so good over the years, I don't blame Gibby

Red Down

Steve Delabar

Pitched in 4 games and hasn't been good. Actually, hasn't been good is understating it. He's better pretty awful. But he has a save (in Marco's almost no hitter game) and a hold. In all, 3.2 innings, 12.27 ERA. Batters hit .368/.458/.526 with 3 walks, a hit batter and 4 strikeouts. Throw in 4 (!) wild pitches and you paint the picture of a bad couple of weeks.

Blue Up

Liam Hendriks

Liam's pitched in 3 games, 5.2 innings. Allowed 1 earned for a 1.59 ERA. Batters hit .200/.200/.350 (in his 4 hits allowed, he gave up a double, triple), 0 walks and 1 strikeout.

Blue Up

Ryan Tepera

He only got into 2 games, since coming back up. Pitched 2.1 innings, allowing just 1 walk with 2 strikeouts. Batting line up .000/.143/.000. I hope he is here to stay.

Blue Up

Bo Schultz

We may have another keeper. Bo pitched in 6 games. 9 innings total. 2 earned runs. In 34 at bats, he allowed 7 hits (2 home runs), 2 walks and 8 strikeouts. The 2 home runs aren't good, but such is life. Batters hit .206/.250/.382. He looked great last night.

Blue Up

Felix Doubront

Had a relief appearance and yesterday's start. Both went very well. 9 innings total, 2 earned, 1 walk, 7 strikeouts. Batters hit .257/.297/.286. Who expected this?

Red Down

Matt Boyd

Had 2 starts, neither went well. Well, one wasn't good and the other....he didn't get an out. Total of 6.2 innings, taking the loss in both games, 14.85 ERA. Batters hit .441/.444/.882 against him with 5 home runs, 1 walk and 7 strikeouts. The strikeout to walk rate looks good.

Todd Redmond also pitched in 3 games, 6 innings with a 0 ERA. Batters hit .227/.261/.227 against him. He deserves an up arrow...instead he gets DFAed.