A lot of stuff happened in this game, but all that matters is that no one died. Oh, and the Jays won.
We've got another game coming up, so we'll just go with bullet points today
- Neither starters had a particularly good outing. Marco Estrada started the game shaky, not looking particularly great at any point. On the other hand, Michael Pineda started off very strong, but imploded as the game went on. Neither Estrada nor Pineda made it out of the 6th inning, both allowing 4 earned runs and 3 home runs each.
- The two bullpens combined for 11.2 innings pitched today, but while the Jays pen only allowed 1 run, the Yankees bullpen, mostly due to Brian Mitchell and Chasen Shreve, conceded 5 runs.
- It was a Yankee Stadium Special Slugfest today, as we were treated to 3 short-porch home runs off the bat of Alex "GOAT" Rodriguez, Jose Bautista, and Ben Revere. That is not a typo: Ben Revere hit a home run. Yankee Stadium home runs count.
- There was a very scary moment in the 8th where the Jays almost gave up the game. With the 1-run lead, Gibbons sent out Aaron Sanchez out for his second inning of the game. He didn't record an out, walking the first two batters he faced. Brett Cecil was brought in to put out the fire, and while he managed to get Carlos Beltran out without a fuss, the very next batter, Brian McCann, lined a single to centre that scored a run and put men on the corners with 1 out. Gibbons decided to go to his closer Roberto Osuna to get the Jays out of the inning, and while Osuna walked A-Rod to load the bases with just 1 out, he retired the next 2 batters without allowing a run.
- Neither team did much in the 9th, and while the Yankees managed to put the winning run on second in the bottom of the 10th, the game headed to the 11th tied at 5.
- The top of the 11th was weird and long, so I'll just write the play-by-play. It was a fun inning.
- Edwin Encarnacion walked, Dalton Pompey pinch run for Encarnacion.
- Cliff Pennington was hit by a pitch. Dalton Pompey advanced to 2B.
- Chris Colabello walked. Dalton Pompey advanced to 3B. Cliff Pennington advanced to 2B.
- Dioner Navarro struck out swinging.
- Russell Martin walked. Dalton Pompey scored. Cliff Pennington advanced to 3B. Chris Colabello advanced to 2B.
- Kevin Pillar struck out swinging.
- Ben Revere singled to right (Fliner (Liner)). Cliff Pennington scored. Chris Colabello advanced to 3B. Munenori Kawasaki advanced to 2B.
- Josh Donaldson walked. Chris Colabello scored. Munenori Kawasaki advanced to 3B. Ben Revere advanced to 2B.
- Jose Bautista walked. Munenori Kawasaki scored. Ben Revere advanced to 3B. Josh Donaldson advanced to 2B.
- Justin Smoak grounded out to first (Grounder).
- Gibbons brought out Liam Hendriks for his second inning to close out the game. Deja vu, Hendriks allowed the first two batters to reach. A pitching change later, it was Dennis Tepera coming out for a surprise save opportunity. Surprisingly, he retired the 3 batters he faced without any problems.
That was a long, long, long, LONG game, following a long game last night, and we've got another game coming up soon. I don't know about you, but this might be a bit too much baseball.
JOD: Osuna (.375), Bautista (.368), Encarnacion (.326), Martin (.191), Lowe (.123). Honorable JOD to Revere for his First Jays Home Run
Suckage: Estrada (-.259), Goins (-.183), Pillar (-.163), Sanchez (-.161), Navaroo (-.124). Cecil had the number (-.231), but that was rather inflated by the situation he was put in, and the fact that Navaroo couldn't block a one of his pitches in the dirt, so eh.
|18||Knight of Hyrule||65|
|25||Drinkin' Wit' Terrell Farley||42|
|31||Dr. Brixton Steel, Ph.D, Esq.||33|
|36||joe leaf fan||24|
|51||Pillar for President||11|