FanPost

Stroman: Recap and Quiz

Despite the usual appearance of Humphrey the Camel, Sept 2, 2015 wasn't your average Wednesday evening in Lansing, MI. There was something special in the air. Yes, it was Stro, man.

Yes, the Blue Jays' own Marcus Stroman who spat in the face of injury timetables and expert opinions was on the mound for the home squad, once home to the "Lansing 3". At approximately 7:05PM EST, Stroman threw his first pitch in a game situation since tearing his ACL on March 10, 2015 on a routine bunt drill that went awry.

Stroman, after the initial shock and disappointment of the injury, approached the challenge before him with the same resolve and optimism that makes him the special player he is. On April 7, he declared:

"I know they’re saying I’m going to be out the whole year, but I still have hope. My thought process is I’m going to be ready for September," Stroman says. "I’m not going to rush it. I would never come back prematurely. I’m going to make sure I’m absolutely 100 percent when I come back. But I want to be back on the mound in September. That’s what I’m working towards."

At the time, I really wanted to believe him. He was after all our ace-in-coming and a massive part of the solution that would hopefully see this talented team finally reach its potential. In the back of my mind, doubts existed. Coming back so quickly off such a major injury has been done (by Yovani Gallardo, and Adrian Peterson’s NFL recovery was incredible), but it is the exception and not the rule.

Well, after his start in Lansing let me say I have no doubt that Marcus Stroman will reach his goal and be on the mound for the Blue Jays in September. The game yesterday could be summed up as follows: Marcus Stroman was a man among boys.

His final line: 4.2 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 K (69 pitches, 44 strikes)

He appeared to get stronger as the game went along:

  • 1st Inning: 3 up, 3 down. 1 K. 11 pitches.
  • 2nd Inning: 3 up, 3 down. 0 K. 14 pitches.
  • 3rd inning: 1 baserunner on error, 2K. 17 pitches.
  • 4th inning: 1BB. 3 K. 19 pitches.
  • 5th inning: 2 up, 2 down. 1 K. 8 pitches. Leaves the game after making a nice play covering first base on a grounder.

What a first outing. He should dominate this level (and he did), but I would have forgiven him if he showed some less than stellar control. He didn’t. I read that aside from a couple of fastballs that he pulled, both Stroman and Pat Hentgen (who was in the stands) said they were very pleased with all aspects of the performance.

Marcus Stroman is tentatively scheduled to throw another bullpen session in Toronto on Friday and will then make his final rehab appearance for Triple-A Buffalo on Monday, Sept 7.

Now that I’ve asserted he is coming back, here’s the question for the community. When will we see Marcus Stroman back on the mound for the Blue Jays? Enter your guesses in the comments section below. Include date, opponent and inning (if you think he’s coming on in relief). Who will he displace?

My guess: Marcus Stroman will start for the Blue Jays on September 15 versus the Atlanta Braves. I hate to say it, but I think Hutch is odd man out.