Since there isn't much for Blue Jays news, other than this:
According to @DfineNrmLC, the #MysteryTeam in the sweepstakes for Yoenis Cespedes was the #BlueJays. He ultimately re-signed with #Mets.— Max Wildstein (@MaxWildstein) January 24, 2016
Can you imagine? Actually I can't, I doubt that the Jays were in on him.
One Year Ago:
- I bid a not so fond goodbye to Bud Selig. I was never a fan.
Two Years Ago:
- Minor Leaguer wrote about Todd Redmond and the weighted-ball program. Todd would go on to have a very good 2014 season, but it didn't seem to carry over to 2015.
- We learned that Jack Morris was leaving Sportsnet. It all turned out good, Joe Siddall took the job, and he's been very good at it.
Four Years Ago:
- The Jays signed Francisco Cordero. I want it on the record that I wasn't thrilled. He had a 5.77 ERA, 2 saves, 3 blown, in 41 games, before Alex shipped him off to Houston.
- Also I put up part one of an interview with Bruce Walton. Hmmm in the past 3 years I've interviewed Brian Butterfield, John Farrell, Bruce and Dwayne Murphy. There seems to be a pattern. Well, Murphy's still with the team, just not in the same role.
- And we signed Brandon Morrow to a 3-year contract with an option for a 4th year.
Five Years Ago:
- We traded Mike Napoli to Texas for Frank Francisco. Not all of Alex's trades were great. A couple of days later I was trying to figure it out.
- I said goodbye to Vernon Wells the player, separate from Vernon Wells the contract.
- We posted photos of the Blue Jays' visit to Calgary. My favorite bit was a joke about talking to the Jays PR guy in the background of one of the pictures, trying to explain who I was. Two years later, I'm still trying to explain the same thing to the same people.
Six Years Ago:
- We looked at the Jays potential starting pitchers. This little bit, unrelated to the rest of the post, made me laugh:
There are little bits of baseball news. Mark McGwire's 'trainer' laughs about Mark's 'I only used steroids to recover from injuries' apology. Isn't saying 'I used to recover from injuries' kind of the equivalent to saying 'I only read Playboy for the interviews?'
Seven Years Ago:
- Hugo and some guy named Rincewind (what a dumb name that is) discussed the starting rotation for the coming 2009 season, after the loss of A.J. Burnett. .
Eight Years Ago:
- Hugo let us know the Jays signed Rod Barajas.
Seve Years Ago:
- Dave Carrol told us that Alan Ashby was joining Jerry Howarth to broadcast the Jays games on radio.
- And mark w reported that the Jays signed Tomo Ohka. Tomo didn't do a great job, going 2-5 with a 5.79 ERA in 10 starts.