Better know your Blue Jays 40-man: Darrell Ceciliani

New, 18 comments
Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports

A couple of weeks ago, the Jays traded either cash or a player to be named later, to the Mets for Darrell Ceciliani.

Ceciliani is a 25 year old (this will be his age 26 season), left-handed hitting outfielder. He was a 4th round pick in the 2009 draft and has spent the last 7 years in the Mets minor league system, putting up a .290/.354/.423 line in 531 games. He did get a cup of coffee with the Mets last year, playing 39 games, hitting .206/.270/.279, with 1 home runs and 5 stolen bases. In the minors, he's played all three outfield spots, getting most of his time in center field.

Steamer figures him to hit .248/.294/.364  in 75 at bats this year and a 0 WAR, which seems about right.

Back in 2013, Baseball Prospectus had this to say about him:

Lacks flash in the game; most tools are solid; can hit the ball and will hit some at the highest level; power isn't a significant factor; speed can play toward the top of a lineup; glove will carry him to MLB and hit tool will give him a chance to stick; potential up-the-middle player with batting average driven offensive profile; won't be a key cog on an MLB team but can be a quality role player.

That's basically it, he could be a rather average 4th outfielder.

To me, he sounds like a younger, better fielding, faster version of Ezequiel Carrera and, unlike Carrera, he has options left. But he doesn't have the 4th outfielder union card yet.

The list of potential 4th outfielders is pretty long. Carrera, Dalton Pompey, Junior Lake, maybe even Roemon Fields, but I can imagine Ceciliani coming out on top, but, more likely,  I can imagine him making the drive between Buffalo and Toronto several times.

Since he has 2 option years left, he'll be handy to keep around for the two or three seasons.