Better know your Blue Jays 40-man: Brady Dragmire and Blake McFarland

New, 5 comments
Reinhold Matay-USA TODAY Sports

I figured I could lump these two together, they got added to the 40-man roster at the same time, to protect each from the Rule 5 draft. The move surprised me, I figured Andy Burns was more likely to be taken in the draft, figuring that he could make a decent utility infielder for some team  The team was right, Burns wasn't taken. I guess Burns doesn't really have the upside that teams are looking for, when giving up a roster spot for a season.

Dragmire is 23, a right-handed pitcher. He spent 2015 in the Dunedin bullpen, posting a 5.26 ERA in 40 relief appearances, 63.1 innings, 80 hits, 20 walks and 57 strikeouts. As MjwW pointed out, he had a terrific season half to the season, getting 40 strikeouts with just 5 k in 36.2 innings

The second half convinced the Jays to send him to the Arizona Fall League and he was great there: 1.06 ERA in 17 innings, 9 hits, 7 walks and 21 strikeouts. That got him added to the 40-man.

He doesn't throw all that hard, low-90s at best, and throws a slider and a change.

Blake McFarland, also a right-hander, is older, 28. started last year in New Hampshire, had a 1.72 ERA in 47 innings, with 36 hits, 6 walks and 62 strikeouts. A 10 to 1 strikeout to walk rate will get attention. Moved up to Buffalo, he had another 10 strikeouts in 10.2 innings, but gave up 4 walks.

As an undrafted free agent, he's done very well to get this far.

And, he's a part time artist. I'm sure he wouldn't mind me sharing a picture of his work:

art2

For either of them to make the team out of spring training, they would have to absolutely lights out this spring, and even then, I think their best hope is to impress everyone, pitch well when they get sent down to the minors and hope to be first in line when a reliever goes down with injury.