clock menu more-arrow no yes
Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

We are through the first few days of spring training, actual baseball will happen Tuesday, so I thought we should catch up on the news out there.

  • Shi Davidi tells us that three more Blue Jays are trying out the leg kick in their swings: Troy Tuowitzki, Kevin Pillar and Ryan Goins. The last one kind of surprises me, I think of the kick being something that power hitters do. I like this:

"(Josh) Donaldson had (Domonic) Brown over in the cage working," the Toronto Blue Jays manager recalled Sunday. "It was pretty impressive, I hadn't seen (so many clubhouse conversations about hitting) anywhere before. One thing they do is they really help coach each other, and that's the ideal situation. You don't get that too often."

"I was honest last year saying it was very tough for me," Tulowitzki said. "And now I'm honest saying I'm over it."

More than over it, judging by the way Tulowitzki joined in the banter with his teammates, who were alternately baiting Jose Bautista about his contract demands and teasing him about it. The Jays' clubhouse can be a raucous place, and Tulo isn't nearly as brash as the team's biggest stars, Bautista and Josh Donaldson. But suffice it to say, he fits right in.

"I'd like to see the numbers and how many times I did catch him, because I did catch him," Martin said, fairly bristling at the line of questioning. "It's not like I never caught him, because Navarro was hurt for a while, too. They definitely worked well together, but at the same time Marco has to execute pitches and make pitches. The credit always goes to the one that's on the mound. He's the one that's releasing the ball to the plate.